Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes fitment

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Default Pypes fitment

Well I jumped the gun with my comments on pypes and their fitment . Its been 7 months since I purchased them . At first I was impressed by their speed of shipment (24 hrs) and pleased by the fitment of the pipes . Now the town I live in has decent streets , not many bumps . so for a couple of months all is well , I did notice a few times a clang noise when I rode over a big bump . So on my first road trip to Pa. which has a variety of roads , hills , city , back roads and bumps . there was a lot of annoying clangs !!! and when I arrived at my destination. the passenger side muffler had been knocked off . and this trend continued for months , clang, clang, clang . then muffler came off . I adjusted the mid pipe as much as I could to stop it for hitting the axle . but it just couldn't b done . so I had enough and put the stock mid pipe back on . presto problem solved , I hit every big azz pothole I could find . never once did it hit . I snapped a few pics of the pipes side by side , it kind of explains why I was having the issues

here is where the pipe was hitting the axle

Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Gummy

Im thinking im having the same problem as you, a few days ago i noticed one muffler sticking out more than the other one of the clamps came loose on the passenger side of the car so i pushed it back and tighten it but now is making a loud vibration noise same side. was your pipe the passenger side pipe as well?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

That is noticeably shorter, but you have to remember that your car is lowered too and that could be a factor, they're mid-pipe may have been designed with a stock height car!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gummy
Im thinking im having the same problem as you, a few days ago i noticed one muffler sticking out more than the other one of the clamps came loose on the passenger side of the car so i pushed it back and tighten it but now is making a loud vibration noise same side. was your pipe the passenger side pipe as well?
yes it was the passenger side , it was getting knocked off by the axle hitting mid pipe and would eventually separate the muffler and mid pipe no matter how tight I tighten them down
never had a issue with the drivers side
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
That is noticeably shorter, but you have to remember that your car is lowered too and that could be a factor, they're mid-pipe may have been designed with a stock height car!
yeah im sure if it wasn't lowered that it wouldn't be as much as an issue , however if it was bent close to stock height , would never had been an issue either . I looked at both pipes and I gotta tell ya , the factory pipe looks no more restrictive then their pipe . and even if it is . . . I came from one pipe , so exhaust flow was definitely gonna be better . I just don't see any advantage to making the height of their pipe shorter
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
yes it was the passenger side , it was getting knocked off by the axle hitting mid pipe and would eventually separate the muffler and mid pipe no matter how tight I tighten them down
never had a issue with the drivers side

yeah im sure if it wasn't lowered that it wouldn't be as much as an issue , however if it was bent close to stock height , would never had been an issue either . I looked at both pipes and I gotta tell ya , the factory pipe looks no more restrictive then their pipe . and even if it is . . . I came from one pipe , so exhaust flow was definitely gonna be better . I just don't see any advantage to making the height of their pipe shorter
Maybe less materials and/or easier to make.