Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Problems with steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM
GMANSTANG

Default Problems with steering wheel

I have an 07 mustang and I've been trying to fix this problem for about 4 months now. Problem: steering wheel is shaking from side to side, it's not pulling one way or the other so I know it's not the alignment. I've taken it to carmax 4 different times they intend to just keep telling me it's the weights on the wheels and send me on my way so I'm not taking it there anymore. I've had the rims turned 180 deg that didn't fix it. It's shaking around speeds of 55-65. I'm wondering if its the tires( half tread still left) or maybe something to do in the steering column.. If someone has had the same problem or can help me to find a solution I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GMANSTANG
I have an 07 mustang and I've been trying to fix this problem for about 4 months now. Problem: steering wheel is shaking from side to side, it's not pulling one way or the other so I know it's not the alignment. I've taken it to carmax 4 different times they intend to just keep telling me it's the weights on the wheels and send me on my way so I'm not taking it there anymore. I've had the rims turned 180 deg that didn't fix it. It's shaking around speeds of 55-65. I'm wondering if its the tires( half tread still left) or maybe something to do in the steering column.. If someone has had the same problem or can help me to find a solution I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time
Try switching your rear wheels with your front wheels to eliminate the tires as a cause.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GMANSTANG
How many miles? What kind of tires are they? Does the shaking disappear at 80 or does it still do it?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

A quick balance and rotate would be the quickest way to see if you have a wheel out of balance. Then go from there.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I agree with rotating the tires front to rear first. If that doesn't help I would expect that the rotors are warped. You can have them them turned on a lathe to true them up but if they have already been cut then they will probably warp again sooner rather than later. A pair of GT takeoff rotors is a cheap upgrade, you just need the caliper brackets to go with it. Calipers are the same on GT & 4.0 but if the miles are up there then swap them as well as preventative maint.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

If the wheels are aftermarket then it is a retaining ring. Take the front wheels off and 2 of the studs will have a retaining ring on them. Take these off. these are used in assembly and are not necessary. Stock wheels have a cut out for them, while most aftermarket wheels do not.