Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

IDLE problem, going in to dealer this week...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 02:11 AM
NOok
1st Gear Member

Default IDLE problem, going in to dealer this week...

Hello,

Anyone else had this problem? The idle keeps sticking at 2000 on mine, and keeps jumping to about 1100 sitting at a stoplight. Seems to be worse when coming off the freeway onto an off ramp. Get to the light at the bottom of an on ramp, and the idle just stays at 2000. I goose the gas and it goes down to 750, then jumps right back up to 1100 again...

Any thoughts on what the issue may be before I leave it at the dealer for a week only to have them tell me they can't find or recreate the problem?

N
Old 10-19-2005, 02:37 AM
fso119
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: IDLE problem, going in to dealer this week...

ORIGINAL: NOok

Hello,

Anyone else had this problem? The idle keeps sticking at 2000 on mine, and keeps jumping to about 1100 sitting at a stoplight. Seems to be worse when coming off the freeway onto an off ramp. Get to the light at the bottom of an on ramp, and the idle just stays at 2000. I goose the gas and it goes down to 750, then jumps right back up to 1100 again...

Any thoughts on what the issue may be before I leave it at the dealer for a week only to have them tell me they can't find or recreate the problem?

N
Do you have an auto or man trans? I seem to have a similar issue but not as bas as yours. It does come back down for me when I come to a complete stop and the trans is in neutral but I also ride my gears down to about a grand or so when downshifting.

I'll downshift more or less like this(typical for exit ramp with red light or stop at end):

5th Hauling *** off the freeway
4th on the exit ramp slowing down
3rd + brake on the service drive slowing down to speed limit
2nd + brake to stop light and put in neutral

The highest my RPMs go is 1100 on the coast to stop but once I stop, it goes back down. It could be something to do with the trans syncros and the engine anticipating you to go back into gear??

nothing to worry about I guess.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
NOok
1st Gear Member

Mine's a 5 speed, doesnt matter how I shift or stop, when I get off the freeway, or just sitting at a stoplight or waiting in traffic, it stays at 2000, and when I goose it, it gos to idle then back up to 1100. This happens 75% of the time I am idling.

I wouldn't say it is nothing to worry about, if i wanted to idle at 2000 and burn $3 a gallon gas, I would hit the pedal myself. When the pedal isn't being pushed, and it is not in gear, it should be at regular idle of bout 750 regardless of what it thinks I want to do. I got a 5 speed so I could have control of my motor. It isn't normal or it would do it all the time, and would have done it from day one.

I'm taking it in to my dealer and it aint coming back out until it is fixed.

N
Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

I have the same problem. When i take my car in to nuetral coming to a stop (i see a light hit nuetral and coast w/ brake) (no engine braking) it floats at close to two. I'm thinking it might be the clutch. . . or gears not disengaging all the way.

Heres why. Have you ever gone down hill with your car in gear, and no gas? When you gain speed from gravity, your rpm's raise, then you feel some drag. The other day I got that feel coming off the interstate.

My car stays at about 2k rpm until i come to an absolute complete stop. Then they dip down to about 600 and then to the normal 750.

I dunno... but i think its something in the tranny sticking.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: fso119

ORIGINAL: NOok

Hello,

N
Do you have an auto or man trans? I seem to have a similar issue but not as bas as yours. It does come back down for me when I come to a complete stop and the trans is in neutral but I also ride my gears down to about a grand or so when downshifting.

I'll downshift more or less like this(typical for exit ramp with red light or stop at end):

5th Hauling *** off the freeway
4th on the exit ramp slowing down
3rd + brake on the service drive slowing down to speed limit
2nd + brake to stop light and put in neutral

The highest my RPMs go is 1100 on the coast to stop but once I stop, it goes back down. It could be something to do with the trans syncros and the engine anticipating you to go back into gear??

nothing to worry about I guess.
Don't know about the first one with the sticky at 2000rpm

But the 1100 RPM while coasting is also on my 2000 V6. Your car is still moving so there is more air coming in the intake, engine has no load on it so it adds fuel to keep the A/F ratio optimized.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 AM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

Mine will do that exact same thing!!!!

at a light it will hover to 2k I can tap the gas and it will go down to 700-800 then slowly go back up to 2k

let us know what the DLR tells you
Old 12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

nook

did you ever find out what was wrong (if anything) with your car???

thanks