Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:35 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Did this several times. Removed the CAI and just went stock air cleaner for a while (with tune) and it started doing it again recently. I'll clean that throttle body this coming weekend.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 PM
stwarrior23

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
Did this several times. Removed the CAI and just went stock air cleaner for a while (with tune) and it started doing it again recently. I'll clean that throttle body this coming weekend.
i was told from a mechanic that it could be sensor that is attached to the throttle body, called the throttle position sensor and since it is enclosed and it cant be open you cant clean it so you have to get a new one, its like 50$

it seems like this problem could be a million things and if we do not want to spend a big chunk of money might as well just let it go until it becomes a big problem, like stalling or something
Old 03-05-2016, 01:18 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I think my problem is solved! I put my new Ford Racing CAI on, with tunes last week (I have another thread about this...). When I took my MAF off the stock hose I noticed the rubber washer/gasket looked kind of weak. I took a toothpick and some high temp RTV and put just a tiny bead all around it. My car is running very tight and does not vary idle now, or at least on 2 trips to work and back. Maybe that could be your problem? My car just feels different, like there is no variance in idle, and seems much more consistent. I wasn't thinking about sealing that at all while driving, but I thought to myself, man, this thing is running better than it has in a while. Then I remembered I sealed that MAF and pretty much decided then that was almost definitely what my problem was. So, with the new CAI, tunes, and that sealed, I think my problem is solved!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:54 PM
stwarrior23

I think my problem is solved! I put my new Ford Racing CAI on, with tunes last week (I have another thread about this...). When I took my MAF off the stock hose I noticed the rubber washer/gasket looked kind of weak. I took a toothpick and some high temp RTV and put just a tiny bead all around it. My car is running very tight and does not vary idle now, or at least on 2 trips to work and back. Maybe that could be your problem? My car just feels different, like there is no variance in idle, and seems much more consistent. I wasn't thinking about sealing that at all while driving, but I thought to myself, man, this thing is running better than it has in a while. Then I remembered I sealed that MAF and pretty much decided then that was almost definitely what my problem was. So, with the new CAI, tunes, and that sealed, I think my problem is solved!
i might try the seal because i got a new cai about 8 months ago, but thanks for all the help glad it solved your problem or well lets hope it stays solved. ill look around the maf sensor and see how it is
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Update - my car did it again. And you know what I'm thinking? When you go to stop, all that gas rushes forward. My car was on the empty side and really did it worse than normal. I am going to try a new gas cap.... anybody on the forum know if this would be a behavior of a gas cap that isn't sealing good enough?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 PM
stwarrior23

Update - my car did it again. And you know what I'm thinking? When you go to stop, all that gas rushes forward. My car was on the empty side and really did it worse than normal. I am going to try a new gas cap.... anybody on the forum know if this would be a behavior of a gas cap that isn't sealing good enough?

hey so i bought a obd2 scanner and i have 2 bad 02 sensors that could be the problem from what i googled. Then it has a preliminary code of P0456-Powertrain. its a evap emission control leak, very small leak, says could be the gas cap not sealing but i doubt thats causing the rough idle
Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I never get a CE... I thought you said you were not getting any indication of a problem. I certainly am not.... interesting though - an evap leak? I might go buy a new cap just for grins.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:41 PM
stwarrior23

I never get a CE... I thought you said you were not getting any indication of a problem. I certainly am not.... interesting though - an evap leak? I might go buy a new cap just for grins.
thats what i was thinking, just buy a new cap just to see if it helps