Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

EGR BLOCK PLATE INSTALLED

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Default EGR BLOCK PLATE INSTALLED

I bought an EGR block plate for my '13 Jetta TDI 5 years ago, to find out it did not
fit the 2.0 Common Rail diesel, but the description just said for VW Diesels.. So, I
found it and put it to use, and, it lines up and installed with VERY little modification,
and was only $6.00

This was the part that I bought:

This is the OE gasket:

OE -vs- The Block Plate:

Blocking Plate Gasket:

Gaskets fit perfectly on, and held on by the bolts:

Block plate on top of 1st gasket:

The holes lined up perfectly, but the bolts were just a tad too big. You can bend the ends out a tad, or drill them one size up.

Other gasket in place:

EGR in place, everything stayed in position:

Snugged up to check fitment and any flair out of the gasket:

All done:

Running without an EGR will raise combustion chamber temperature, but is cleaner burning, with more NOx. With the Torque app
running before and after, monitoring the coolant temp, there was little to no difference, 2-degrees at most. Still cooled down to
185 - 186 coasting. It went as high as 196 under normal driving, did not test any steeper grade hills. I will run it for a while, and if
I see anomalies I don't like, will remove it, it's simple and easy.

Notes:
Lowers intake air temperature, and intake manifold temperatures.
A blocked EGR system can result in detonation due to the higher cylinder temps.
A blocked EGR will result in an increase of NOx as well as hydrocarbon emissions that pollute the atmosphere and may cause an automobile to fail an emissions test.
A Blocked EGR may increase engine warm up time.
The EGR valve does not open under heavy loads, or WOT, so if you doing this for dragging, you don't need to.
Most EGR systems only operate up to a certain RPM, once over that, the EGR valve is closed.
Blocking the EGR can also prevent boost leaks through the EGR system.
Blocking the EGR keeps the carbon out of the intake system; this crusts up and coats everything,
At idle, the car could starve for air if the ECU does not adjust throttle trim.
Not legal in any state to perform.
With the blocking plate, you will get P0402 EGR Excessive Flow Detected.
Not beneficial as a daily driver.

5/13/19:
No rough idle.
No abnormal temperatures.
No throttle dead-spots.
I ran ~240 miles with E15 (88) from above the Full line (2 top offs), to just below half tank mark; 4:30 hours driving.
I ran ~157 miles on refill with 87 from a 16th" below the full tank mark, to an just over an 8th" above the half tank mark, 3:23 hours.

5/14/19:
First set of numbers must have been a fluke, or some kind of ECU learning curve. I ran the same route
last night, and only got 100+ miles per 1/4 tank mark to half. I am back to stock today; so I have determined
that in this instance, blocking the EGR did not help with MPG, only performance. I am back to stock,
as I need the MPG for this week. It was rainy, and windy, drag could have effected the numbers.

5/15/19:
110+ Miles per 1/4 Tank, back to stock, except the tube cut mod. No CEL.

I previously ran a 2000 Avenger ES with no EGR, never had issues, and it had 153,000 miles at trade in,
all original powertrain.

I also ran no EGR on my former '13 Jetta TDI, and saw huge gains in MPG, but that's a diesel,
and was more beneficial. I was topping 48 MPG in that car. Since diesels are compression
ignition, no EGR helps a lot. Just raises NOx emissions. 243,000 miles at buy-back, and
crushed. All original powertrain.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 05-15-2019 at 05:55 AM.