Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 Mustang No Start- With Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 AM
xo.mustang.05

Unhappy 2005 Mustang No Start- With Codes

Hello everyone,

This will be long so I apologize, I need help with my mustang. It does not start and I have been putting in new parts that I get from Auto Zone and Napa.

I have a 2005 regular mustang, V6, 4.0. I got it back in 2015 when I lived in California. I would do the maintenance on it when it was due. It had a previous owner in Florida and I'm not sure how much care they gave it. It was pretty messed up when I got it, body damage and the interior was ruined.

I moved out of state and could not bring my mustang with me because it broke down the week I was moving so I left it parked at my parent's house. The mustang would shut off on me randomly up to the point where it would no longer start. I got a mechanic and he told me it was probably the starter and the throttle body. I didn't have time to fix it so I left my car parked for about 2 years. When I would go visit, I would turn it on by the starter since it would not turn on with when I turned the key, and run it. I finally brought it home so I have time to work on it.

The first thing I did was do an oil change, add new gasoline- I tried to syphon out the old gasoline but the gas tank was empty, which was weird because I left it with gasoline, I changed the fuel filter and the starter. The mustang would not start. So I changed the spark plugs, the wires for the spark plugs, I changed out the spark plug wires one at a time so I would not make an error, and got a new battery. The mustang would still not start. So then I changed the throttle body because I remembered my old mechanic telling me he read a code saying there was an issue with the throttle body but the car would still not start. So I went and bought a code reader and I got the codes:

- O2 Sensor B1S1
- O2 Sensor B1S2
- O2 Sensor B2S1
- O2 Sensor B2S2
- Catalyst Bank 1
- Catalyst Bank 2
- EGR Bank 2
- EVAP (0.090")
- EVAP (0.040")
- EVAP (0.020")
- Misfire Data
- Misfire Cyl. 1
- Misfire Cyl. 2
- Misfire Cyl. 3
- Misfire Cyl. 4
- Misfire Cyl. 5
- Misfire Cyl. 6

I called up my old mechanic and asked him what these codes meant. He told me that it was most likely the coil pack that needed a change. I went and got a new coil pack. I had the battery connected to a battery charger so I disconnected the charger from the battery then disconnected the battery from the car in order to change the coil pack. In the 30 minutes it took me to swap it out and connect everything, the brand new battery was discharged. So I thought it would be the alternator and I ordered one. Then when the battery was charged up again, I tried turning on the car and it wouldn't turn on.

The alternator came in so I swapped it out and the car doesn't turn on. If I put carb/choke fluid in the carburetor, the car starts but immediately dies. Could the problem be the fuel pump? I don't know what else it could be. I am searching for a good mechanic where I live but there isn't many so I haven't had luck yet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.