Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

POS Eclipse Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:50 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: POS Eclipse Owners

I totally smoked a 1993 Pontiac Firefly!

And I walked my nieces power wheels dora the explora jeep wrangler. She was just frontin' yo. She's whining "i didnt get a good launch because I'm only 4 and dont have the motor skills to power brake" And I was like "yo beyotch you aint got NO motor skills werd"

Did everyone here buy their v6 to race it? I mean, without mods, it's decently fast and fun to drive, but not a race car by any means. I mean, if you're rolling around waiting to race every junker that pulls up next to you, doesn't that make you the rice?

As for the eclipse, the 1998 and earlier AWD GSX's were pretty damn quick. A good friend had a Talon (same car), and that thing moved. They had a good reputation for taking a whole lot of boost, too. I'm sort of passively looking for a cheap old Talon or Eclipse to make into an off-road mud-bogger.

If I wasn't so impatient I might have waited for the new eclipse spyder, but I wanted a vert and I wanted it now. As for the guys on the forums, they're no different than the ones on this one. They think they're car is the hottest thing ever just like we all do.

Quit hatin on people for the car they choose to drive, and lead by example, I say.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a 2005 GTS beat a 2005 mustang v6, stock for stock. IIRC they're a lighter car, but not as torquey. Also have that MIVEC and 4 valves per cylinder, so should have a wider powerband, no? Should be a drivers race. My mother in law has a 2003 spyder, I wouldn't call it a slow car. I've driven it, it feels about as fast as my pony. I don't like it as much, and I think it looks like a girl car, but it's pretty quick. She actually offered to practically give it to me (trade for my mirage and they keep the cash they sell it for), but I still went and spent 20 grand on my mustang.

Anyways, it's not 1968 anymore, there are lots of cars faster than the mustang. Appreciate it for the car it is, but don't kid yourself into thinking its something it's not. You'll just be dissapointed every time an accord blows past you.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:56 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Eclipse GT's and GTS's can beat 05 mustangs, well stock at least...My sister has an '02 Eclipse GT and we were just messing around on the highway but she basically blew me away bud...
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

They are pretty quick, yes, but we can match them or take them depending on the year. The 90's GS models run high to mid 15's. The Turbo models in the 90s run low 15's. The 2006 model is the one to watch out for, they run in the 14's. The market is mature for this car, takes well to turbos and its common to find one built up since they are so cheap to get.

Basically they are pretty much the same class car as us until the 06 came out, which was a significant bump in performance.

Oh, and the 03 models run in the mid to low 15's as well.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:47 PM
imbus
2nd Gear Member

yea but shotty can beat a cobra because he has his engine painted blue...which gives it 500 hp.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:08 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MHShockey30

Since I got my car about six months ago everyone wants to race me. Here is a list of the cars that I have raced, some were serious, and some for just kicks.
1. 2004 Honda Civic = Destroyed it
2. 2005 GTO = Beat it because he missed a shift
3. 2006 GTO = Didnt really go, he would have killed me
4. 2dr. Ram HEMI = Barely lost
5. 2003 Eclipse GTS = Killed it
6. 1990 Geo Storm = Dominated it
7. 2001 Camaro SS = He beat me
8. My GF's 1999 Cavalier = Killed her
9. 2000 Mazda Miata = Beat it
10. POS 95 Galant w/Green underglow = Destroyed it
11. 2003 Eclipse GT = Killed him

After I save up for a turbo I will start messing with some more serious cars.

I will race pretty much anything just for the hell of it, and to see what my car could do against it.

Its all for ****s and giggles

Is this with your Cobra or your sixer?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:48 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i am leading by exmaple... i drive a v6 mustang, that gets 23mpg..
Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Rogue24
2nd Gear Member

I use to own a 97 eclipse, but i got beat by a crown vic taxi cab so i got rid of it...jk.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

I just drove the 2007 Eclipse GT (see my other thread in 2005+) and I'll tell ya right now that with the V6 stock vs the Mustang v6 stock it's no contest.
The car is REAL fast...
Up there with the GT and pretty close at that.
Almost, but not quite a drivers race.
The GT will win....

I typically hate rice, but this one is a winner, it's fast has an awesome interior and is a fantastic bang for the buck even with the V6.

The 4 banger is kind of sluggy especially when using A/C which kills the motor for some reason.

I can buy a V6 with a sunroof, awesome audio, etc for the same price as a loaded V6 Premium.

It's a real tough choice for an old fart "buy American" guy like me, but I got into the Eclipse expecting to hate it and I walked away loving it.
That is rare for me because I travel A LOT on business and get to drive all kinds of Hertz rentals and typically I HATE ricers.
This one is the exception.
Serriously.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

The new Eclipse GT has I think around 268 HP or something like that. Are they front or rear wheel drive? I can't remember. But yes the new eclipses are fast but VERY ugly. I also heard that the interior for all the past eclipses were garbage! Our cars are slower but WAAAAYYY nicer! Don't worry about it man they'll get what's coming to them!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

They are FWD cars.

Quick Reply: POS Eclipse Owners