Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

POS Eclipse Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:05 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: POS Eclipse Owners

Everybody is defensive of their own cars. I see it here more than other places, but it's not an outrageous outlash, but there is definately a lot of stubborn pride in your car(not that it's a bad thing) with Mustangs as their is with Eclipse's. This coming from a guy who owns neither and has never owned either, but browses many forums.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S2K1

Everybody is defensive of their own cars. I see it here more than other places, but it's not an outrageous outlash, but there is definately a lot of stubborn pride in your car(not that it's a bad thing) with Mustangs as their is with Eclipse's. This coming from a guy who owns neither and has never owned either, but browses many forums.

Pretty much true!
Both the Mustang and the new Eclipse have their advantages and disadvantages.
Personally I think the Mustng is built better, easier to service and parts availability is excellent as well.
There is also a ton of information out there for Mustangs.
They are both fun cars to drive, just different that's all.
The 4 banger Eclipse is too slow IMHO, especially when you turn on the A/C.
The V6 eclipse is a sweet motor though and a good match for the car.

One thing though, the Mustang forums have a far more mature / adult tone to them and from someone who has been a shadetree mechanic for 35 years, the tech information in the Mustang forums seems to be right on the money!
The Eclipse forums, at least the ones I looked at, seem very immature to me as well as full of bad tech advice.

I'm still figuring out what to buy.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Rogue24
2nd Gear Member

The mustang is much more fun to drive.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: S2K1

Pretty much true!
Both the Mustang and the new Eclipse have their advantages and disadvantages.
Personally I think the Mustng is built better, easier to service and parts availability is excellent as well.
There is also a ton of information out there for Mustangs.
They are both fun cars to drive, just different that's all.
The 4 banger Eclipse is too slow IMHO, especially when you turn on the A/C.
The V6 eclipse is a sweet motor though and a good match for the car.

One thing though, the Mustang forums have a far more mature / adult tone to them and from someone who has been a shadetree mechanic for 35 years, the tech information in the Mustang forums seems to be right on the money!
The Eclipse forums, at least the ones I looked at, seem very immature to me as well as full of bad tech advice.

I'm still figuring out what to buy.

I agree with you to an extent. General consensus on this forum could be 'rice' on another forum and a generally mature answer could be immature to others. For example, on the Dodge Ram forums, they thoroughly enjoy strobe lights on their trucks. And a lot of people agree with it, but I think it's ridiculous. Just difference in how people see things.

Anyway, on topic. I drove the new V6 Eclipse, and it has too much torque for the front wheels, going around turns it had A LOT of torque steer.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:02 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Yea that's right on the money.
I too noticed the torque steer but I thought it was just me nailing the thing.
I thought Mitsu.. had that different lenght half shafts that DMC developed to minimize that?
I guess not

If you want to feel torque steer drive a Cobalt SS.....
WOW!
It nearly yanks the steering wheel out of your hands!

Anyway, I've dropped the Eclipse off my short list.
Nice car, but EVERY SINGLE REVIEW I have found has slammed this car, and badly....

I'm usually a pretty independent person, but I know that when virtually everyone hates something, big time, I will hate it too.....