Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

grill replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: grill replacement

ORIGINAL: 0to60

Hey guys,

Here's my experience so far:

I purchased the West Coast Performance Parts conversion kit from Charlie on ebay about two months ago. Saturday morning I was out in the driveway, tools in hand -- couldn't wait to get the new grill installed!

Three hours later, the grill still wouldn't go in. I didn't want to force anything, so I packed everything back up and called my local mechanic. He was finally able to see me a couple weeks back. After looking at Charlie's video, he sized up the car, and thought he could take care of it no problem. I brought the car back a few days later with the kit and left everything there overnight (so it could warm up inside to make the materials more pliable).

The next morning, I got a call I did not want to hear. "Yeah... there's no way this grill is gonna fit into your bumper cover. Maybe if you lived out in sunny California you could wait for a hot day, but here in New England it's not gonna happen."

Well, why not try to work around it, right? Next plan was to make some custom brackets for the grill. My guy thought it over for a weekend, and then gave the final death knell: "No matter how we do it, putting this grill into this too-small space will cause problems; if not now, then certainly down the road."

So, here I am, stuck with a grill that won't fit. I've emailed Charlie -- who, to his credit, has never previously given me any reason to doubt either his veracity or his commitment to customer service -- but gotten no response. Does anyone know the status of his business right now? His web site looks up and running, but his ebay account has been deactivated.

If I can't return the WCPP kit, here's the new plan: the fog lights, wiring harness, and dash switch are all fine -- it's just the grill that doesn't fit -- so I'm considering buying the Street Scene grill (which they claim to be an exact fit), putting the fogs in that, and installing the wiring/switch according to Charlie's original instructions.

Do you think this will work? Any better options?

I found the Street Scene grill from EasternMustang.com for $344.95. Does anyone know of a better price? Here's the link: http://easternmustang.com/store/prod...oducts_id/1689

Oh, one more thing. The Street Scene grill looks great except that I really miss the classic pony in the middle. Could I just cut mine off the factory grille and somehow attach it to the SSE one? Has anyone done this? Or maybe get a tri-bar pony emblem and stick that on for a nice retro look?

Any close-up pics of the Street Scene Grill would be awesome.

Thanks,
Tim
If you'd like, I could send you the instructions for the T2 grill, which is what I have. Basically, you need to make relief cuts in the bottom corners of the stock bumper. It sounds bad but it is in a place that no one will ever see. Mine fits just fine. Here's a pic:

[IMG]local://upfiles/17757/1F9AEE66BA5A4AAD958F89AB57C928C5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2006, 08:44 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone tried putting the GT fog lights in the V6 grill? I just seen an auction on ebay for V6 grills for on $10. Seems like it may be worth practicing on. I've been scanning the forums trying to find the best way to put the fog lights in my V6 but no one has mentioned cutting the factory V6 grill and trying it that way.

If it doesn't work, I guess I will be getting the Street Scene drop in grill that requires no cutting or craming like the West Coast model.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

Has anyone tried putting the GT fog lights in the V6 grill? I just seen an auction on ebay for V6 grills for on $10. Seems like it may be worth practicing on. I've been scanning the forums trying to find the best way to put the fog lights in my V6 but no one has mentioned cutting the factory V6 grill and trying it that way.

If it doesn't work, I guess I will be getting the Street Scene drop in grill that requires no cutting or craming like the West Coast model.

Someone did it, I can't remember which forum I read it in though. It seems like he was going to make a bunch up and sell them on Ebay.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:18 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i have the street sceen grill and love it . i also took my pony and heated it up bent it a bit and it fits fine in the grill. your gt lights and harness will work fine although i used the gt switch and hooked mine up that way. im at work but when i get home i can send you some pics also i have link to the installation. they used my car.

good luck tom

http://www.thechromepony.com/Mods1-05.html

here is a pic

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/dis...bum=205&pos=25
Old 01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

In regards to ypur question about Charlie, he moved hid on-line store to Yahoo. He sais it was less expensive tha Ebay. Who knows? I had a similar experience with his GT grille conversion, but he was square enough to let me swap it out for the "pony package grille". I liked it pretty well at the time, and like it more with all the positive comments I've gotten since. This may be an option if you don't want to buy another kit elsewhere. Anyway, the wiring harness and switch aren't a total loss. Keep trying with Charlie though, he should make this option available to you also. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 PM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys!

I don't like the pony package grille nearly as much, so I'm gonna go the street scene route and use the fogs/wiring/dash switch from Charlie. The street scene grille doesn't come with the lights, right?

Afixer, I love what you did with the pony emblem! It looks so much better with the stang back ruling his domain! How did you get it off the stock grille? And to attach it, you heated it up and bent it a little bit? Not exactly sure what you mean by that...

Anyone know the best place to buy the Street Scene Grille?

Can't wait to finally get the fog lights hooked up! Thanks again!
Tim
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 0to60

Thanks guys!

I don't like the pony package grille nearly as much, so I'm gonna go the street scene route and use the fogs/wiring/dash switch from Charlie. The street scene grille doesn't come with the lights, right?

Afixer, I love what you did with the pony emblem! It looks so much better with the stang back ruling his domain! How did you get it off the stock grille? And to attach it, you heated it up and bent it a little bit? Not exactly sure what you mean by that...

Anyone know the best place to buy the Street Scene Grille?

Can't wait to finally get the fog lights hooked up! Thanks again!
Tim
email me when you get the stuff and we will talk. ill fill you in its real easy. brief info. i poped off the pony trimed the tabs. then with a heat gun i carefully heated the pony. carefull not to ruin the crome plating. i set it over a paint can and tweeked it slighty. then i took some nylon. bolts and nuts. i then set the pony on the removed grill to place it and taped it to the front. then placed the bolts thru the grill to the back of the pony and used some crazy glue to hold them in place. next remove the pony without breaking the bolts off. then epoxy them in and let set. after it dry reinstall it and tighten the nuts. your done. install the grill.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

If you'd like, I could send you the instructions for the T2 grill, which is what I have. Basically, you need to make relief cuts in the bottom corners of the stock bumper. It sounds bad but it is in a place that no one will ever see. Mine fits just fine. Here's a pic:

This is also what I did after spending 2 hours trying to get that GT grill in the hole. Once I notched out the corners of the bumper cover it took 2 minutes and it was in. You also cant see any of it once the grill is installed. The wiring harness is first class as well as the GT switch.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Can you tell me where you had to cut your bumper? I've heard guys talk about cutting the bumper. I'm just trying to get an idea where. Thanks