4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Im stuck in Iraq. heres what im doing when i get home. what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:35 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

Default Im stuck in Iraq. heres what im doing when i get home. what you think?

Whats up guys i havent been on in a long time. Been busy. Anyways I got alot of work for the stang planned for when i get back home. Let me know what you think and If iv missed anything.

First off heres what i got already. Its not much but. Exhaust- off road X pipe and Borla cat back. Intake- K&N CAI. Gears- 4.56. Trans- Transmission reprogram kit. makes an auto shift instantly. And a 100 dry shot. but will be putting a 125 wet shot in instead.

Heres what ill be most likely doing. New wheels and tires. 10.5 rear and 9 front. A paxton supercharger kit from modular powerhouse. Chrome-Moly K-Member Kit, ARP Head studs, 800HP 4.6L SHORTBLOCK, MPH Supercharger Cams, some shorty headers unless anyone knows about long tube i can install with an automatic, Zex Wet Injected Nitrous System.

So how much HP you think it will produce with and without the NO2? And any parts you guys think might have trouble with the power? Is it an alright build or will it not produce well for the money? Would a Strong built engine/NO2 be better then SC/NO2 or a built engine/SC?

Thanks alot for the help. Ill have some money to spend coming back from this deployment and im trying to get the best build i can out of it.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:40 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

Heres what a few people have said about the nitrous kit. It sounds like a good kit to me.

I am running 03 Gt with a tune at a 125 shot. i am putting about 450 HP with zex and bolt-ons. also extremely easy to install.

Great but I have a 04 GT I installed the kit my self and am runinng a 125 shot my boy got a 02 gt keene bell twinscew and every time we run i beat him by half a car he spent 5700.00 for his kit. This is worth every penny.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Well a few things... What's ur hp goal? On and off the bottle? That paxton with those cams and some other supporting mods can make 600 easy...and remember that shortblock is rated at the crank... So 800 at the crank is about 680 at the wheels...I like your idea I just think there are cheaper ways to reach your goal.

What do u want to make power wise? What do u want to run at the track? Do u want to keep the 4.56s? Do u have a mph ur shooting for at the track? Or something to pull untill 150? What would u be comfortable reving it to on each shift, 6k? Or 7500 or somewhere in between?and lastly is there a budget? Or do u just want to know what it'll take to get where u want to be?

I'm about to start building mine to actually get out of the low 12s and into low 11s/high10s...and around 500rw... Should cost about 7grandish
Old 11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

make sure you build your block correctly if your going s/c and spray. example more ring gap for nitrous and what not, a lot of people on here don't think about all this stuff.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:16 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

I dont have a number goal as far as hp to much. im looking more for something that will do maybe mid 11s off the gas and 10s on it. My biggest problem is that i dont know crap about building the engine for nitrous and the supercharger. As far as what im looking to do with the car mainly the strip and go driving with my buddys every now and then. but not a daily driver for sure. just a few miles here and there. Where do you think around 650 at the wheels would put me on the strip? I would like to be able to pull untill 150 aswell. When do you think ill stop with the 4.56 gears? Id be cool with reving it to about 7k each gear maybe more. Theres not really a budget. Less then 20k and ill be able to do it. I have a shop and some people to help do alot of installing free/cheap. Im not looking for the front wheels to come off the track but something that i could pull on a Z06 at a light if you know what i mean. And The supercharger and nitrous was just an idea of a starting point. Im open for an idea of any other builds. Maybe just all built to max engine or whatever. Id like get away for aboout 10,000 when its all done but i know its not cheap so tell me what ideas you have. thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

For you, having an auto, you should look into a large single/twin turbo kit. Since you have the auto, you wont have to worry about coming out of boost between shifts and you dont have to wait til redline for full boost. Hellion single 76mm turbo kit would probably be a good idea for ya. But you might want to step up to a built bottom end that will hold a little more than 800hp. Maybe something that can handle 900 or 1000 that way you have some wiggle room. And you will want all the goodies, such as ported heads/trickflow heads and cams, like you mentioned. And dont forget about all the fuel upgrades that you will need to support this kind of power. Built rear would also be a necessity if you plan on going to the track with sticky tires. But really power all depends on how much boost you run, your final compression ratio you decide to go with, your tune, and other things as well. But I would seriously consider dropping those 4.56's for some 3.90's or lower if youre going boost. I can only imagine how insane those gears are n/a but with a blower you will not get traction given the kinda power you are planning on making. Also, look into doing your rear suspension too. You will probably need lower control arms and a nice set of uppers or a torque arm/watts link setup to make your car handle and hook properly. I'd look into Maximum Motorsports suspension packages. They are the best for suspension. And i dont think that your auto tranny as it sits is gonna handle the kinda power you are gonna make. Gonna need a built tranny as well, with probably a higher stall. I think theres a lot of what youre gonna need. But seriously think about the large single turbo with ball bearing upgrade. Friend of mine has that kit...completely happy with it. He is running 680rwhp with N/A grind cams which actually hurt it because with n/a cams he is just blowing the boost right out the exhaust valves due to valve overlap. So there is huge potential for the turbo kits...especially with your auto tranny.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I havent looked to much into turbo kits because of the cost but with how much im looking to put into it a turbo is right in that price range now. Like you said with the 4.56 gears turbos and superchargers dont work as well as they can with other gears. But If im not mistaken a built up NA engine could do very well with the gears. My only problem is I dont know sh*t about building engines. Where would i start? any sites that can help me do some research?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Id say talk to MMR(Modularmustangracing.com). They build nothing but modular motors and stuff for mod motor cars. They can help you get started on a build. But if you plan on going N/A, you better be planning on going with some 4v heads and having them ported to oblivion...which will cost you just about as much as buying a power adder of choice and building a ported head/cam/intake/power adder 2v. I mean ported 4v heads are like $4000 and cams are a grand and then installing it all, with all the new valvetrain stuff needed will be insanely expensive. I'd start by talking to MMR and tell them what you want and they can get you started on what kinda shortblock to start with and then they might be able to point you in the right direction of what heads to go with for what your goals are and then what power adder(s) to go with for what you want.