4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Crazy Drivers Side Window

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
SkylerDeckard

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Did the window work when you got the +12V reading at the motor?

If not then the motor is dead/dying--very often when the brushes wear they no longer contact the commutator with sufficient force to pass enough current to run the motor--this can be an intermittent condition until the brushes wear to the point that it just isn't going to happen--this is also why banging/slamming the door can often get things going again (it jostles the brushes and gets them into contact with the commutator).

Left unfixed long enough the commutator and brush holders will burn up. A GOOD auto electric shop could replace the brushes if you brought them the motor--the problem will be finding a GOOD auto electric shop--you might be better off just buying a new motor.

Most FLAPS have them for $50 or so...
No the window has not worked for a few days now. When I got the 12v reading, nothing was happening. The relay would click but the window just stayed in place. So thats what I am going to think is happening, the motor is just going out. Its just confusing because the window didn't act like it had any lag, or delay in it like it was getting slower. It just STOPPED.

I was looking at this,
http://www.americanmuscle.com/power-...r-9404-lh.html
But maybe its overkill and I don't need to replace all of that. But I hate risking not fixing something and then needing that part too anyways.

Besides that, just the motor. How about installation, is it too difficult? Am i better off just going and paying someone $200 to fix it? I would really love to be able to save the coin if I just thought I could do it myself.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

This is by far the most common issue with the 1999-2004 Mustang. Mine started off doing this once every 4-6 months on the drivers side. My passenger side finally did it once about a month ago. As cliffy has mentioned its just a cheap fix and will eventually cause more problems but finding that sweet spot and giving it a good whack while holding the button will free it up. I remember people from the opposite parking lot at work giving me very weird looks when I was beating the hell out of my nice looking mustang's door trying to find that spot. I just grinned and drove off once she started working .

It will cost you far more than $200 to have a motor replaced, mainly due to labor costs.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

replacing the motor yourself should be pretty easy. i rebuilt my window motor in my 94 with new bushings without a problem. after the motor is unbolted you can pull it through the speaker hole.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here'e the procedure from the shop manual...
Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

WOW....I'm going to be the guy to do this-

OP- Congratulations on making an entirely legible, comprehensible, and appropriate post, even though you are new to these boards. Talk about refreshing, this guy needs a pat on the back.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
SkylerDeckard

Originally Posted by devongarver
WOW....I'm going to be the guy to do this-

OP- Congratulations on making an entirely legible, comprehensible, and appropriate post, even though you are new to these boards. Talk about refreshing, this guy needs a pat on the back.
Who are you talking about?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

lol, OP means Original Poster. So that would be you. And no, I am not being sarcastic. It is rare that someone makes a thread that is necessary, or legible, or even worthy of reading let alone responding to-when they are a newb.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
SkylerDeckard

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Seems easy enough. You are a mustang, random parts guru. Its amazing how you have pulled up schematics and instructions on how to install it. Thank you so much for your help. I am going to try this I suppose this week on one of my days off, and I will let everyone know how it turns out.

And, to who ever said it would cost more then $200, things are pretty cheap here in Missouri. Lol. Especially car things, I'm from the town that created O'reillys
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
SkylerDeckard

Originally Posted by devongarver
lol, OP means Original Poster. So that would be you. And no, I am not being sarcastic. It is rare that someone makes a thread that is necessary, or legible, or even worthy of reading let alone responding to-when they are a newb.
Ohhhhhh.
Yah, I kept searching and searching google and being taken to random threads that kind of sorta helped? Then I decided, hey why not just make a thread and see if anyone out there can help me specifically. And, it worked out well, Cliffyk has done an awesome job, along with everyone else, and its amazing and how much you can learn from a large group of thinkers.

But thanks, I try to keep things organized and legit.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SkylerDeckard
Ohhhhhh.
Yah, I kept searching and searching google and being taken to random threads that kind of sorta helped? Then I decided, hey why not just make a thread and see if anyone out there can help me specifically. And, it worked out well, Cliffyk has done an awesome job, along with everyone else, and its amazing and how much you can learn from a large group of thinkers.

But thanks, I try to keep things organized and legit.

Well here is some advice to keep up your good track record so far...

Read all of the stickies listed HERE.

And actually, THIS one may help with your current issue.

Just read every link in there atleast once, and it will give you a broad perspective of things...then come and start reading the new threads and you will learn a ton....