5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1999 Explorer (5.0 liter) help needed and appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:34 PM
DagoD483

Default 1999 Explorer (5.0 liter) help needed and appreciated

I'm new here and really just looking for any help advice or suggestions you guys want to give.

I just bought a 1999 Explorer. It's got the 5.0 liter and AWD. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but can't seem to figure out the problem I'm having. I'll explain when the problems began and what I've done to try to fix them.

I bought this with 135,000 miles on it and it ran absolutely amazing for a month. The first rainy day we had it started to give me problems. It was in need of a gas tank filler neck and I knew about it, just didn't get around to fixing it yet. It had become so rusty you could crush it with you hand. On my way into to school, about 15 minutes into my drive, the motor had begun to lose throttle response, acceleration, and overall power. Keep in mind that the hole in the filler neck was about the half a foot in length so I finally put two and two together and realized that the rear tire had been spraying water into that hole in the filler neck and eventually making its way into the gas tank, which was the major source of my problems. If you imagine all the water the tires kick up, and the short amount of time it took for the motor to have problems, there must have been a pretty decent amount of water in the tank and going into the motor.

I replaced the filler neck on my own because it was an easy fix and I'd save 100 bucks doing it myself. I went out and got some dry gas (a product named heat) and dumped a couple into the tank hoping that would solve my problems. I also ran a diagnostic on the motor and it said I had a misfire in cylinder 4 ( I believe its the farthest back on the left side) and that the motor was running too lean. I decided to do a complete tune up on the motor since I didn't know the last time it was done, and had once again HOPED that this would finally solve my problems. Even after the tune up, the motor was still running very doggish.

I pretty much threw in the towel at this point and took the truck to my nearest shop. They pretty much looked over everything I did, said everything was good but the motor was still running lean and needed new O2 sensors. I stressed to them that they clean the fuel injectors and do their best to extract any water from the tank possible. They did that along with cleaning the mass air flow. Well after this had all been done, the motor was running very well, but now my MAIN PROBLEM is that the throttle response is bad still and when you put the pedal to the floor, the motor loses power and completely stops accelerating. The motor runs great except for when you accelerate anywhere past maybe 50% throttle.

Today I decided to change the fuel filter because possibly rust had gotten into the fuel lines via the rusty filler neck. After doing so, absolutely nothing has changed.

At this point I'm very upset because I don't want to put any more money into this thing. Being 5.0 liter guys I'm hoping you know the motor better than I do and have some suggestions.

Thank you for reading! Thanks ahead of time for any help you give me.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Maybe the fuel pump strainer is clogged or even the pump. You may want to get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure pressure dont drop under accleration. I think you can rent a gauge at the part stroe.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
DagoD483

Hmmm alright. Ill look into that. Thanks. Any other ideas?