5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New 90' GT owner, couple problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Lance777

Default New 90' GT owner, couple problems!

Hey guys, sorry it's my first thread recently just picked up a mustang myself, had a few problems wondering if anyone could sort some of this easier stuff out.

I have a weird ticking that gets faster and faster as I drive, I went through the old owners receipts and read up that it may be a speedometer cable, the sound DOES sound as if its coming on the left side near the dash / cluster / hood side. Can anyone verify this, and how to trouble shoot?

Another problem I have, is I drove home last night and got some fuel. The car started bucking for about 10km as if it wasn't getting the gas, or bad gas. Is it solely the gas's problem? or could I have something with the pump wrong. (We drove the car 5000 km without a motor problem, so I'll assume its the gas)

Stereo equipment - The car has a 3500$ rockford fosgate system, the front speakers don't work (which sucks) but everything else pounds like a sound. When we almost got home, for the first time the sound just randomly cut out. I checked the amp fuzes, they were fine. Is this because of the amp, or have something to do with the other fuzes etc.

Also, the handbook states that I should be using a 10-30 oil, it's time for an oil change. The sticker on the windshield states that they were using 15-40 before I bought it. Should I go to a 10-30 or keep using the 15-40? and synthetic or not? I live in Canada, nova-scotia. It rains a bit, it's cold here and there, but mostly in summer which I'll only be using the car for, it's nice. 15-30~ degrees.

Sorry about writing a book, but I need to get my car running perfect before summer hits! Thanks guys, Lance.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Lance777
Hey guys, sorry it's my first thread recently just picked up a mustang myself, had a few problems wondering if anyone could sort some of this easier stuff out.

I have a weird ticking that gets faster and faster as I drive, I went through the old owners receipts and read up that it may be a speedometer cable, the sound DOES sound as if its coming on the left side near the dash / cluster / hood side. Can anyone verify this, and how to trouble shoot?

Another problem I have, is I drove home last night and got some fuel. The car started bucking for about 10km as if it wasn't getting the gas, or bad gas. Is it solely the gas's problem? or could I have something with the pump wrong. (We drove the car 5000 km without a motor problem, so I'll assume its the gas)

Stereo equipment - The car has a 3500$ rockford fosgate system, the front speakers don't work (which sucks) but everything else pounds like a sound. When we almost got home, for the first time the sound just randomly cut out. I checked the amp fuzes, they were fine. Is this because of the amp, or have something to do with the other fuzes etc.

Also, the handbook states that I should be using a 10-30 oil, it's time for an oil change. The sticker on the windshield states that they were using 15-40 before I bought it. Should I go to a 10-30 or keep using the 15-40? and synthetic or not? I live in Canada, nova-scotia. It rains a bit, it's cold here and there, but mostly in summer which I'll only be using the car for, it's nice. 15-30~ degrees.

Sorry about writing a book, but I need to get my car running perfect before summer hits! Thanks guys, Lance.
To isolate the noise, there are some things you need to do. First, figure out where its coming from. Do you hear it when the car isnt moving? If you do, this rules out the speedo cable.

The fuel issue: Did you only notice the bucking under acceleration... usually in the lowest gear?

The system. Nobody gives a ****. Take that crap out of the car before some little hood rat steals your car to get it all.

The oil: You car calls for 10w30. It should use 10w30. The previous owner probably used 15w40 because A). they were old and their mind was still stuck in the 70's. or B). they were trying to hide a problem with the engine... like a lifter tick, or rod nock.

You may find that a 10w40 works well for you also.

And on a side note, welcome to the forum... I am the resident *******. I do not mean to offend you with my posts, i just generally don't care about feelings.

have fun, and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by AdderMk2; 06-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:07 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Yeah my car has a ticking which sounds like a lifter or rocker arm. The oil pressure also reads higher than normal so I think the last owner used a really thick oil to quiet it down. I'm not worried about the tick as I can fix that but it bugs me anyone would try to hide it.

The thicker oil may quiet it down but I would think it would just cause the lifter to fail sooner due to the heavier oil that has to be moved.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
CaliKid
1st Gear Member

im with Adder on the sound system...stock sound system on a 5.0 is just fine, if anything they probably messed up the wiring, thats how mine was and i had to re-solder wires and such now each speaker works perfectly.

As far as the ticking goes, does it sound like a wind-up toy?? thats how mine sounds like but only when the car is in motion, it comes from right behind the speedo/cluster. not sure why but i just put up with it, would be nice to know why tho.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Lance777

Ya its the exact same as you describe Cali.

Also, just went through all the wiring got the sound system to work... Not gonna take it out cause its just way to whacked to do that, so much ****. It's all hidden SO well though, whoever installed it did an A-1 job.

Should I go with synthetic 10-30w ?

Also, another quick question... Front license plate holder, how do I get those pins out?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
4literranger485

i like to run synthetics, but that's all personal preference.

10w-30 is good
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Lance777
Should I go with synthetic 10-30w ?
no, stick to regular oil