Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Remote Start(6MT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

As the keys would be if you installed a MT ready R/S. You remove the key in the same fashion.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-24-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Do they start off with "this one time in band camp"?

The ones that are MADE to do this for an optional remote transmission require you to get out of the car, the engine left running, then arm the car alarm/remote start module, for the unit itself to shut the car off, for the remote start to function.

If you shut it off by either forgetting, or it's just not wise at the time to depend on the emergency brake, the alarm and everything else still functions fine, but the R/S just will not be allowed to function.

The ones that have a MT mode/setting, once enabled are of course more cumbersome, but not anymore dangerous with even a smattering used of common sense (ie. depending soley on the emergency brake parked on the side of steep hill in sub-zero weather).
Does it matter how the story started? Do you really want to know?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Does it matter how the story started? Do you really want to know?
If it starts out with that, and she's hot, of course I do!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

If it starts out with that, and she's hot, of course I do!
LOL!

It's up the OP to weight the risks. I would be a bit reserved, but it seems that the system you installed has fail safes. So if OP wants to move forward with your 100% backing on that system, who am I to argue?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
LOL!

It's up the OP to weight the risks. I would be a bit reserved, but it seems that the system you installed has fail safes. So if OP wants to move forward with your 100% backing on that system, who am I to argue?
Not mine, I simply linked the others who have stated theirs, and have done as much homework as I could researching.

My install/purchasing of this has lost any serious priority rating, further maintenance work, a PA performance 200 Amp alternator, updated wiring, battery re-location, and an isolator for a secondary usage battery are my top priorities for my car at present.

As stated, people are idiots. The stories floating are from people doing improper installs usually with the wrong (A/T only) R/S unit.
The only concern with a M/T unit should be having to rely on the parking brake completely, over an A/T which does not have this handicap, especially with the S197's having issues with theirs breaking, freezing, and having a general TSB on the thing.

If I lived somewhere with very hilly or varied areas for parking, I might skip it then. Simply because it wouldn't be worth the money invested having to skip using it so often. The e-brake fiasco's tend to break, fail, or suck right off when you next attempt to use it, not after 3 hours watching it roll down the hill from your cubical. And nobody should trust the e-brake solely in a M/T for any vehicle on any steep incline.

Luckily Delaware is basically swamp, marsh, woods, and farmland. It's like an urbanized Kansas with trees, 1 averaging tornado per year that takes out 1 trailer-park residence. Flat as a pancake, so anybody here is good to go.

Writing frankly, as stated, so long as it's a micro-controller setup with specific optioning for a M/T, can you give any logical reasons why it's any more risky? Or why you should be more reserved? You don't blame FORD for your engine blowing up when you try pushing some insane PSI from an after-market supercharger in your car do you?

Last edited by wayne613; 01-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Not mine, I simply linked the others who have stated theirs, and have done as much homework as I could researching.

My install/purchasing of this has lost any serious priority rating, further maintenance work, a PA performance alternator, updated wiring, battery re-location, and an isolator for a secondary usage battery are my top priorities for my car at present. Technology in this regard only gets better, so longer I wait, cheaper it is, better it is.

As stated, people are idiots. The stories floating are from people doing improper installs usually with the wrong (A/T only) R/S unit. The only concern with a M/T unit should be having to rely on the parking brake completely, over an A/T which does not have this handicap, especially with the S197's having issues with theirs breaking, freezing, and having a general TSB on the thing.

Writing frankly, as stated, so long as it's a micro-controller setup with specific optioning for a M/T, can you give any logical reasons why it's any more risky? Or why you should be more reserved? You don't blame FORD for your engine blowing up when you try pushing some insane PSI from an after-market supercharger in your car do you?
You don't blame ford for allowing my engine to blow up from pushing mass PSI when I modify it??? Holy chit! That's some logic there, I gotsa get me sum!

Not being sarcastic towards you but the comment as in there is an idiot born every minute to whom your comments will be total nonsense because they lack common sense, logic, and/or any sense of responsibility for their actions.

The thread posted here earlier of the guy that DID install a RS for a manual was warned about a month earlier when he was posting about whether or not it would be a good mod. Most people told him know for the obvious reason that if it's left in gear it could take jump and damage something. Lo-an-behold, a month later there's the Post. Then he tries to go after the dealership. That was the icing on the cake.

Is it possible to install a RS with built in safety to avoid that situation, absolutely. Most people that go for that mod on a manual though, don't have the sense (or intelligence) to consider it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

If you wish to endorse it, go ahead. I won't, but the OP doesn't need to take my advice either. I couldn't think of any valid reasons why I would want one of these on my car in the first place.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 AM
D00m3dHitm4n
1st Gear Member

I appreciate everyone's opinion on this matter. All I'm trying to do right now is do research on possible upgrades for my car. At this point in time getting a R/S package for it will not happen for a long time. I have alot of other modifications that I wanna do, that I find are more important. So I figure it will be a year or two before I actually pull the trigger on it

Now in regards to having common sense, I could say that I do till I'm blue in the face. But it's my actions and reactions that will ultimately prove me right or wrong :-)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
I appreciate everyone's opinion on this matter. All I'm trying to do right now is do research on possible upgrades for my car. At this point in time getting a R/S package for it will not happen for a long time. I have alot of other modifications that I wanna do, that I find are more important. So I figure it will be a year or two before I actually pull the trigger on it

Now in regards to having common sense, I could say that I do till I'm blue in the face. But it's my actions and reactions that will ultimately prove me right or wrong :-)
There are probably thousands of chevy diehards and prius owners that would say we are all lacking in the common sense category.