Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

!969 Mustang Project...Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Ducttapedemon17

Default !969 Mustang Project...Need Input

I bougt a 1969 Mustang Coupe in January. I have all parts i need plus a bunch more, the guy just had the car, the engine threw a rod, got a 302 block off an 89 lincoln town car and stripped the EFI crap off it, and used the old heads and basically has everything ready to be put back in the car. I need to put the water pump back on, the ignition system back on, the thermostat, valve covers and carb and i think im set. One thing is, that the old harmonic balancer is a three hole while I need a four. I will take it into the machine shop i work at and have it matched up. So far, i need to go down and buy some water pump bolts for it, so i can put the water pump on, then i can put the crank pulley and all my other **** together. One issue i did run into, but didnt think to much of, is when i sat the valve covers on it, and the Edelbrock carb, the valve covers got in the way, is there some sort on spacer i need to buy to get it to fit up right, and if so, will it hit my hood? Another question i have is how hard would it be to rewire the car. And does anyone have any slick ways to fix rust in quarter panels and door panels?

[IMG]local://upfiles/47489/0830AA76C9E74D7D84A6905B262CBD96.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-30-2006, 01:19 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: !969 Mustang Project...Need Input

[&:] if i had to overhaul and i got that block, i wouldve jsut kept the efi and did a conversion.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 AM
Ducttapedemon17

The EFI did not match up well, there was no place for the oil dipstick or something of that sort, and i guess he didnt have the patience and/or time and/or money to do a conversion.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:43 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Slickest way to fix rust is to sand it down, cut out all the rusty metal, and replace it with new metal. Anything else is a bandaid.

Some people just dont know about EFI, that is ok. One thing you need to know is the water pump on the EFI cars is designed to turn the opposite direction of the carbed cars. Serpentine belt is the reason.

The Lincolns, Tbirds, and Cougars used a different intake than did the Mustang. They have smaller runners and throtle bodies. So you could use them, but they arent really a performance item.

Lastly, the balancer is a late, and you need to keep it a late unit. Older cars had a 28ounce imbalance while later cars had 50 ounce. or was it 52? Cant remember for certain on the number, but I do know for certain about swapping them around. You cant and have the engine live.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, that '89 302 will have a 50 oz. imbalance. How close is the hood coming to the air cleaner when it is shut? If you have an inch or so to spare, then get a spacer under the carb if it doesn't already have one. Maybe that will allow the carb to clear the valve covers.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:12 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Or better yet, run a Holley or 4100 carb..
Old 08-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I will certainly vote for the Autolite/Motorcraft 4100. I will also assume the aluminum intake will dissipate enough heat so that a spacer is not necessary to avoid gas boiling in the bowl, but one never knows. All engines act differently, so there is no one rule that applies to all situations.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Ducttapedemon17

As of right now, i do not know how much space there is between the hood and the top of the air filter...I will use a spacer, and i am just going to stick with my Edelbrock 4 barrel, unless it doesnt work right. but its brand new so there shouldnt be any problems. just have to make it fit. Thanks for the rust advise, my dad and i were thinking the same way, but it seems like alot of work, and even after i will have to do alot of grinding to the the weld to flush with the rest of the body. And i understand a lot about efi, and serpentine and everything, but since none of the equipment came with the car, im not going to go out and blow alot of money to swap it over when i have a perfectly good carb set up going. Right now, I have the engine out of the car and on a stand so we can work on it, the car is outside, and later im going to pressure wash the body and engine compartment so it actually looks decent before i drop the motor in. i have one more question about the water pump. On it, there are 4 holes for 3.5 inch bolt (or something like that) one of the holes is stripped. will that be fine or should i do something about that? another thing. there is one hole for what looks to be a 2 1/4 inch bolt...but just one, there is also 4 holes for 1 1/4's. any idea what the single 2 1/4 hole is for? And as far as the harmonic balancer is concered, i have two of them one off the origional engine and one off the lincoln. So what your saying is that i should keep the old balancer and drill the holes, right? or should i keep the 50 oz from the lincoln? i havent looked at them in a while, but i think that the balancer off the lincoln wouldnt work because it is a different pulley design. and the only way the 69 would work is if i drilled the holes accordingly.