Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Starting to get frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Starting to get frustrated

So the good news is I figured out my transmission pan was leaking because the old one was warped. So I got a new chrome one today and no more leaks from the pan. Well I was getting excited because it was holding the fluid and was about ready for a test drive but all of a sudden a huge leak but not from the pan. It was around the neutral safety swith it came from like a quarter inch hole and i'm not sure if its suppose to run to something else or is it supposed to be plugged.
I put a red box on the picture from where the leak was. There was a bunch of build up and stuff so I pulled it out and found the hole.

I tried to zoom in on the hole but my camera wasn't good so I made a white circle and its basically just a metal tube and it was just draining the fluid.

I don't really know what it is so i'm hoping someone could tell me what that is and if its suppose to be plugged or if its suppose to run to something else.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 PM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

That is the vent tube on the trans. The fluid will leak out of there if the trans is overfilled or the torque converter drains back into the trans housing. There is a check valve in the pump that is supposed to stop drainback. It may be stuck.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:56 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blue66mustang
That is the vent tube on the trans. The fluid will leak out of there if the trans is overfilled or the torque converter drains back into the trans housing. There is a check valve in the pump that is supposed to stop drainback. It may be stuck.
Does that mean I will have to take the transmission apart again? How exactly would I check to see if the valve is stuck?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 AM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately yes you will. The check ball and spring are located within the oil pump housing. At the minimum you will need to remove the transmission , torque converter and pump. You’ll then need to open the pump up to get to the check ball and spring. There may be dirt in the orifice or the ball may be worn. This will require careful disassembly and reassembly. Something I wouldn’t recommend in your garage as the pump clearances and cleanliness are critical.

Your absolutely positive that the fluid is leaking from this tube. It can also leak from the gear selector shaft. I’m not doubting you but the two repairs are night and day in complexity. Try and see if you can slip a piece of rubber tubing over the metal vent tube and let that hang down below the level of the pan by one inch. This will positively confirm leakage from the vent.

Keep us posted..
Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The selector seal is cheap and easy compared to the above description.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

The C4 is known for leaking out the vent tube, it's called drain-back. The converter drains back into the tranny body when the car is parked. Sometimes it happen same day, others it takes a week before you see the leak. I've got a fresh build on my tranny, and it's does it also if it's parked for a week. You can spend the time and money to correct the pump check valve, or bend a new vent tube (5/16" tubing). I made a longer tube that points up at a 45 and then down past the linkage so I can actually see if it's leaking. When it does drain back, it stays in the tranny and not out the vent tube.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Alright well the car is fixed now and back on the road. Thanks to everyone that helped with the problems I appreciate it.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

What ended up being the problem?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 AM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

At first the bolt in the trans was loose so i tightened that and it shifts again. Then it leaked replaced the gasket and trans pan and sealed it with copper silicone. Then we poured too much trans fluid and hadnt started it so once we started it the fluid cycled through then we added the rest.

But it got fixed just in time was even able to make it to the local Mcdonald's car show and took 2nd in its class. First place was a 65 fastback but the owner is my friend's dad and the car is restored from the ground up so it was well deserved. Some of my friends were saying I might have a chance because they saw a ton of people voting for me but if they would have gave me first I would have given it to the 65 because his was absolutely stunning.

Last edited by blue 67 coupe; 06-19-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM
MayorDaly

Originally Posted by groho
The C4 is known for leaking out the vent tube, it's called drain-back. The converter drains back into the tranny body when the car is parked. Sometimes it happen same day, others it takes a week before you see the leak. I've got a fresh build on my tranny, and it's does it also if it's parked for a week. You can spend the time and money to correct the pump check valve, or bend a new vent tube (5/16" tubing). I made a longer tube that points up at a 45 and then down past the linkage so I can actually see if it's leaking. When it does drain back, it stays in the tranny and not out the vent tube.
Groho, It looks like I have that drain back issue on my 66 C4, Is there any
thing to flush through and clean the valve i.e... slick shift or cleaner?
Can't afford to tear it down for a while, If I extend a 5/16 tube up enough,and maybe even an overflow canister (as some radiators have)
will it drain back into pan and then pump when car is driven?