Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Thinking about buying a 66, but have some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 AM
jpeagle21

Default Thinking about buying a 66, but have some concerns

There is a 66 mustang for sale that I am considering.

Here are some details about the car:
-previous owners were not concerned about keeping it original.
-General wear and tear that you would expect from a weekly driver.
-seats are in good shape, but I don't think they are original.
-Carpet is worn and the dash is missing.
-Outside paint looks good and I cannot find significant rust. Maybe 2 or 3 bubbles behind the rear wheels.
-The engine sounds strong and it is driveable off the lot.

Here are my major concerns, but I don't know enough about classic mustangs to know if these are major problems:

1.) The engine has been swapped. Inline 6 to a 289. This wasn't disclosed by the dealer (who is not the seller). I found out by running the vin.
2.) The guage cluster is the long type that you would find in a 65 mustang. Not a big deal to me looks-wise, but obviously it has been changed in the past. Why would you replace a 66 cluster with a 65? Isn't the 66 cluster the more sought-after style?

The asking price is $7000. I would be fine paying 6-7 grand for this car if it was an original 289. But I'm not sure about a vehicle with a swapped engine.

I'm not concerned about originality. I just like the classic mustangs (had one when I was a kid) and I wanted something to tinker around with over the years with my son. But, is this something that you would stay away from? If not, what would be a more fair price. I was thinking more like $5,000.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

If you are really concerned about keeping the car all original I would say then you find a rusted one and make it your own by completely restoring it to original and or the way you want it.

As for the guy changing the engine to a 289 I don't think that is really that big of a deal. If the car runs good then all he did was do the work of swapping in some more power for you.

I would probably not pay 7 for the car but I think 5500 is a good starting point and would not pay more than 6 for it. Tell them your concerns with the interior and the bubbles in the paint and explain to them that you will probably have to replace this stuff and so you are not comfortable paying their asking price.

good luck with it
Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

The V8 from an I6 is not to bad as long as it's been done properly suspension rear end trans. Is it a five lug? The guage cluster is weird which makes me think like you why? I have a 65 and i think that the 66 guages are a want for a few 65 owners (not me). I think I would pass myself look around a bit more and beware the tin worm (a little magnet in a cloth bag is useful on the doors etc and run some water down the cowl vent and check for leaks into the passenger floors. Good luck and finding the right car.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

Maybe the car is a 65 and they switched the vin numbers with a 66 that had a clean title? I think 7k seems high though.. I am in SC so maybe its different here.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Welcome.

That being said, I'd keep looking. See if you can contact the local Mustang club, they would probably help you find one that hasn't been molested, or determine if this one was switched over correctly. Be patient, it's a lot of money.

Last edited by Oxnard Montalvo; 08-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Here are some details about the car:
-previous owners were not concerned about keeping it original.
-General wear and tear that you would expect from a weekly driver.
-seats are in good shape, but I don't think they are original.
Need photos

-Carpet is worn and the dash is missing.
Dash is missing? It's welded in. You mean the pad?

-Outside paint looks good and I cannot find significant rust. Maybe 2 or 3 bubbles behind the rear wheels.
-The engine sounds strong and it is driveable off the lot.
There's a lot more to driving than the engine. Brakes, for instance.

Here are my major concerns, but I don't know enough about classic mustangs to know if these are major problems:

1.) The engine has been swapped. Inline 6 to a 289. This wasn't disclosed by the dealer (who is not the seller). I found out by running the vin.
Not a problem if done properly. If done improperly, it could be a deathtrap. You need a Mustang expert to look at it.

2.) The guage cluster is the long type that you would find in a 65 mustang. Not a big deal to me looks-wise, but obviously it has been changed in the past. Why would you replace a 66 cluster with a 65? Isn't the 66 cluster the more sought-after style?
No one would do that conversion. The car is starting to sound like a "parts collection". I wonder about the VIN. Did you get it off the fender apron, or the door?

The asking price is $7000. I would be fine paying 6-7 grand for this car if it was an original 289. But I'm not sure about a vehicle with a swapped engine.
Sounds like a lot, if it's of dubious pedigree.

I'm not concerned about originality. I just like the classic mustangs (had one when I was a kid) and I wanted something to tinker around with over the years with my son. But, is this something that you would stay away from? If not, what would be a more fair price. I was thinking more like $5,000.
Get someone familiar with details of these cars too look at it. I'd hate to see you in a money pit.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
MPGmustang

I agree with the general replies, The car might be a mustang but i'm worried about the slap job it sounds like. Get the VIN from the fender that will tell you more, especially if the door has been replaced too. Check to see if it's 5 lug (very important for v8's) and I would deffenetly test drive it to see if it's solid, you'll feel unsecure in it around corners and hills, like it's going to break. Check to see what kind of brakes it has, drum/disk, details are important... the interior i'm not worried about it's the mechanics that should be given the Highest scrutiny
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 PM
jpeagle21

Thanks everyone. Awesome responses. I have decided to pass on the car. Based partly on your responses, but most of all, it just didn't pass the "gut feeling" test. Be looking for me again if I ever do find one that I like. I will be picking your brains for more of your expertise. Take care.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

I'm as guilty as anyone of being impulsive, and doing my homework after a purchase.
That being said, do as I say and not as I do, and research whatever type of car you're thinking of buying, whether it's a Mustang or something else.
Most old marques have a real following online and the information is readily available. This is doubly true for Mustangs. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Right now is the best time to buy a mustang keep watching craigslist and take your time to find what you want and no rusted to hell.