Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Principe71

Default power steering problems

Hello friends, this is my first time logging in your forum and I am honoured in doing so. I live in Genoa, North Italy and hold a Mustang Convertible 1966 with engine 289 V8 4,7 lt. I bought it three years ago in North Carolina via internet and, at huge costs, I brought it into my place. Since then, I am trying to renovate and refresh the car, step by step, by changing parts in the body, engine, etc... In a few days I will post a couple of pictures sothat you can have a look at my baby. There are just 2 classic Mustangs in my town hence you can imagine how exciting is driving around with such an amazing car. Unfortunately, even if I did always find the proper parts to purchase via internet c/o shops like CJ PonyParts, technical assistance here is a problem because, despite the fact this car is quite simple and without electronics, most of the mechanics here have never seen this car before. I often have to support them with manuals, books, articles but it does not work all the times. Perhaps some of you can help me on how to solve the problem I am facing now. The steering power, even if the belt is fully working and liquid is there, from a day to another did stop to work. Everything seems to be fine but she does not work and steering has become hard. Would you please enlighten me how to remove such problem? Thanks. Filippo
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Io non parlo Italiano, ho appena usato un traduttore di internet. Come senti sola eliminazione complessivamente il sistema di sterzo? Che è una delle prime modifiche ho fatto alla mia Mustang 1965. L'auto è abbastanza leggero e sterzo sforzo non è poi così alta. Personalmente per me togliere qualcosa come il servosterzo sistema fatto di senso perché potuto guidare senza di esso facilmente.

Rmodel65
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Principe71

ciao rmodel65, without power steering it is hard to drive. steering is too hard, specially while parking the car. I would love to have the power steering working properly as before... thanks anyway for your comments
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

I would not eliminate the system as rmodel65 has stated.

The 4 turm box will be very difficult steering system without the assist.

My idea, isolate the cause, then deal with the problem. Hydraulics is the same all over the world. Just a basic professional with hydraulics knowledge can help you.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

I can turn my car with 2 fingers and my car was a factory PS car and i have 17x8's in the front.. but yeah if you want to keep the power assist by all means do so.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Principe71

Thanks everyone for your advice. New ones are welcome to solve my problem.
I have another question: I am going to change the transmission liquid/oil (atomatic) and the filter/gasket. Without opening/disambling the full transmission body and/or the torque how can I remove the maximum quantity of oil? I know procedure is quite similar all over the world in all cars (by switching on the car more times until the major part of the oil has come out) but is there any particular and efficient way to do so and get the maximum result? thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Principe71

Thanks everyone for your advice. New ones are welcome to solve my problem.
I have another question: I am going to change the transmission liquid/oil (atomatic) and the filter/gasket. Without opening/disambling the full transmission body and/or the torque how can I remove the maximum quantity of oil? I know procedure is quite similar all over the world in all cars (by switching on the car more times until the major part of the oil has come out) but is there any particular and efficient way to do so and get the maximum result? thanks