Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wrecked Stang :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Good to hear you are OK! a 2013 would be sweet!
Good luck....
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of tires come on the 2012 gt? A good tire should not lose grip that easily. I've had to make some quick direction changes in the rain and never lost control, but I have yokohama summer tires now. The stock pirellis sucked in the rain or dry.
Tires still hydroplane don't they? Pirellis also suck on cold pavement.....

Good that Russel came out OK. These Mustangs have a really good safety rating. If it were my car, I'd hope for a "total" on it.

Last edited by potman; 02-13-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman

Good that Russel came out OK. These Mustangs have a really good safety rating. If it were my car, I'd hope for a "total" on it.
There wasn't any mention of hydroplaning.

OP - Glad you are OK and they decided to total it but like moose said, good tires shouldn't lose grip that easily. How hard of a turn did you make to avoid the *** that cut you off? Might've been better off letting him hit you (unless it was a semi) and then he would have to pay for any damage.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman

Any tire can hydroplane if there is enough water on the road, but as far as wet and dry traction goes, summer tires are way, way, way better than any all seasons. that's goes for traction when braking as well. All season tires are popular, because they last longer. They are a compromise and I'll never use them again.

All seasons maybe slightly better below freezing, but if you see temps like that, you should have a set of dedicated winter/snow tires. I love watching videos of idiots up north trying to drive in the snow with all season tires.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Wink

Whatever you do, don't drive in the rain with drag radials.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Glad you are ok man. Always a crying time when another Mustang is taken off the road. Hopefully the insurance payday will get you back in the seat soon
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear they offered you a nice chunk of change.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black GT
Whatever you do, don't drive in the rain with drag radials.

Yes and if you live in Florida, where it can pour at any given time, you should not drive on the street with drag radials. Eventually you will get caught in the rain.

I still drive to and from the track with mine, but if it were to rain, I would just wait for the roads to dry.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 AM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Damn, another one? Join the club man, just totaled my GT a couple weeks back.

BUT...I had it almost paid off and I'm currently looking out the window at my GT Vert. SO: Chin up, full coverage is a godsend. Take your time and let the right Mustang present itself. I almost bought a lemon. But I was buying used.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
SmileyOr

Glad it turned out OK. I've been hit a couple times, but never had a car totaled with me in it. Sounds like you're covered for a replacement that you'll enjoy as much as the totaled one was.

I'll admit to owning cars with top of the line A/S tires for the last 5 years with no loss of control on dry, wet or snow. Goodyear F1 A/S, Goodyear GT A/S, Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S. They compare very close to summer only tires in dry and slightly better in wet for most. Throw in some snow and near freezing temps and above the 45th parallel it's the most convenient way to go. I haven't used studded snow tires since . . .

I would have thought the traction control would have prevented loss of control, but if you were forced to the barrier to prevent hitting the other car cutting you off then I can see it turning into a spin with the friction with the barrier causing the rear end to come around.

One of those learning experiences that you can look back on and be thankful.