Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

The infamous WATER LEAK

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Kinesthesia

Cool

Originally Posted by n0f3ar
I had this same problem, and the fix is easy. The source is a poor design by Ford.

Remove the plastic cowl beneath the windshield wipers--should be a few screws. You will see a cavity stretching to about even with the floor of the cabin, but which is an empty void between the engine compartment firewall and the back of the dashboard/passenger compartment. At the very bottom of this void are a bunch of drainage holes which get plugged should debris (from trees, in my case) make it through the drainage holes in the cowl. You may see standing water in this space; if it rises to the air vent level, it pours into the footwell of the front passenger side. For me, this resulted in a steady stream of water lilke a waterfall pouring into my car.

Clean the drainage holes and try to avoid parking under trees that drop debris on your car (good luck there!). If you are industrious, the obvious fix would be a fine mesh on the underside of the cowl to further prevent debris from making it to the drain holes, and (if possible) making the drain holes even bigger. I heard one guy cut the bottom of this cavity out altogether.

If you will excuse me, I have to go work on water that has collected in the front of my back right fender....gotta love Ford designs!
Thanks for the information. In less than five minutes, there is one less leak and a happy wife. Now I just have to figure out her wet seatbelt (I assume it's the quarter window).
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I took out my grommet all together....why is it needed?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

I had water pouring behind my glove box, I noticed more water came out when I stepped on it, now reading this thread I understand why... Ford does some really stupid things... Thankfully it only took a few minutes to fix.. I used a garden hose and my antenna and it unclogged itself by poking it and spraying water in it...

Granted it took 5.75 years for this to occur still though, pretty stupid design..
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM
linux4noobs

I left the grommets out also.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM
PullTab

How much horsepower are you running? Are you sure it isn't pee?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PullTab
How much horsepower are you running? Are you sure it isn't pee?

Wow simple solution to the real problem lol....hmm may want to look at the wifes 07 now to see if she has this issue. will have to wait until i get back from afghan though lol