Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM
ponypower05GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Pedals

I can't say about the Roush pedals for attachment, but the I can tell you how to do the Ultimate Pedals. They have instructions on the website and they send you a copy with your order. It is pretty simple. You will need some wrenches, screwdrivers, masking tape, pencil, drill, and a couple drill bits. The sizes for the drill bits and the wrenches I don't know off the top of my head, the are specified in the instruction sheet. You will have to remove the black rubber cover over the brake pedal first. It comes off pretty easily. Then it is reccommended that you use some cleaner/degreaser on the pedal to make sure you don't have any gunk left on it. Next line up the aluminum racing pedal for the brake over the brake pedal. Depends on whether you have a manual or automatic transmission for how it will line up exactly. For mine, and auto, I lined up the upper right corner of the brake pedal with the new aluminum racing pedal. This position seemed best for me. Once you have established where you want the pedal to be, move the alumimun racing pedal out of the way and attach a piece of masking tape over the brake pedal. Put the aluminum racing pedal back over the brake pedal now so that the tape shows up behind it. Pick two holes in the aluminum racing pedal, preferrably on fairly opposite sides of the pedal from each other and use the pencil to mark where the holes should go. The aluminum racing pedal is going to be larger than the piece of metal it attaches to on the brake pedal so be careful about which holes you choose so that you don't pick a spot that doesn't have enough of the brake pedal metal behind it. Once you have selected your two holes and used the pencil to mark them, remove the aluminum racing pedal out of the way. It is reccommended here that you use a center punch on the marks you made so that you can start with a small indention in the metal piece of the brake pedal. This small indention makes it easier to line up the drill bit and won't make it jump around when first starting your hole. Use the smaller of the two drill bits first and drill a hole where you made your mark at. Once you drill all the way through, then use the larger of the two drill bits to enlarge the hole. Check to make sure that the hole is large enough to put the bolts through cleanly and that it doesn't bind up going through. A slightly larger hole is ok, a much large hole is bad, and a slightly smaller hole is also bad. Once you have drilled both of your holes, take the masking tape off, then put the aluminum racing pedal on top of the metal piece on the brake pedal. The bolts should go through the holes and you should secure the bolts with a washer and nut on the back. Tighten these down with the wrench. Do not overtighten as you do not want to break the aluminum. Also be sure to remember that your brake pedal is attached by a squared edge metal rod running from the fire wall, do not drill your holes where a bolt and nut are impeded by this metal rod. Also be aware that the edges of the hole may be sharp on the backside. This should not have any impact on driving or anything, but if you reach behind the pedal you could cut the crap out of your hand. You should now be done with brake pedal. The gas pedal is very, very easy to install. Since the Mustang has a plastic, all one piece gas pedal, there is nothing to take off like there was with the brake pedal. You will again put masking tape over the gas pedal. Line up the aluminum racing pedal where you like, and mark the holes with a pencil. Again try to use to holes that are on fairly opposite sides of the pedal, either top middle and bottom middle, or left middle and right middle are probably the best two locations. Move the aluminum racing pedal out of the way. You can use the smaller drill bit to drill a started hole this time as well. Since you will be installing the aluminum racing pedal directly onto the gas pedal with self tapping screws, you can just screw it in without the use of started holes, but they do make it a little easier. Tighten down the screws with a screwdriver, you will not need any wrench or bolts for this one. Clean up and metal shavings you made and you should be done. Provided that you don't encounter any problems, and know how to use a drill properly, this total installation should take very little time. Figure on about half an hour just to make sure you are doing everything correctly. It can be a scary thought when drilling into your brake and it is not the kind of thing you want to mess up and wind up with the pedal looking like swiss cheese because you kept messing up the holes.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Wow! Nice detailed writeup. Tahnk you very much, powerpony.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:00 AM
ponypower05GT
1st Gear Member

No prob, you are welcome
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 AM
nole_trainer

Go ULTIMATE, they look and feel great
Old 03-16-2006, 09:39 AM
JoeJP

Another vote for the Ultimate Pedals.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Bah, I don't want pedal covers. I want real-deal alum. pedals. Anyone seen any?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:30 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GGIII
Bah, I don't want pedal covers. I want real-deal alum. pedals. Anyone seen any?
+1