Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2006 GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Hidalgo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My 2006 GT

Congrats ! ... Nice ride ... Enjoy ! ... [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 07-23-2006, 01:52 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

OK we had a choice and both my wife and I CAN drive sticks very well (100K miles on the Twin Turbo Stealth which has a 6 speed and one of our GMC trucks is a 5 speed and it has over 200K miles) Had Ford have offered a 6 speed in the 06 GT convertible we might have checked that box when ordering our car. But why would we down grade to a 5 speed when we are used to driving a 6 speed! And if any of you think it's NOT a down grade for a 5 speed, PLEASE research ANY car that offers both a 5 speed and a 6 speed and see which cost more..... Sorry that some of you mistakenly feel our car doesn't measure up to your "Ideal sports car" But we're driving a stock looking 06 auto vert GT wearing 20's and hiding a little Saleen s/c with upgrade under the hood with NO visible clues as to the damage you going to take when you show up next to me with your 5 speed with a sweet tune and CIA wanting to play.
Never seen a auto miss a shift and I can drink my morning Mocha with ease while your rowing through the gears. Yes shifting dears make one seem faster but one little mistake (no matter how small will cost you time, miss shift, shift early or late) and say bye bye to the equal in performance auto. Anyone had a chance to see these new automatic 5 speeds apart? They are a big improvement compared to some of the older autos I have seen in the past. (I didn't know this when we ordered it)

Now just to add fuel to the fire;
I think some of those that are bashing autos are really trying to hide the fact that they really wanted an automatic transmission but couldn't afford the extra grand or so Ford charges for their premier tanny that is offered in our Mustangs. OH wait along those lines, it must be some of the same people that think the the convertible is not a real sports car is because they can't afford the extra $5K Ford demands for the TOP OF THE LINE Mustang! And any of those people that don't think that last statement is true, again PLEASE compare resale value of older restored muscle cars and take a look at which cost more....... the Convertible vs Same model car but NOT convertible. (save your money for a vert!)

2006GTSC Very nice car! And welcome..
05SDI
Old 07-23-2006, 02:07 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackSpirit

I agree; Autos should be left for the V6 convertibles. I can't see the reason for a convertible either especially when this car is to mimic the fastback; just my opinion.
^^That was just ignorant. No one is mimicing a fastback, there just designed after previous models. I have a convertible and would never buy it in an AUTO...just not my style. You may think it's pointless but in the end I have the same car as you do buddy, just a little cooler looking......IMHO
Old 07-23-2006, 02:16 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i think the auto tranny is fine for the people who want
them.... i personally could not stand the CLUNK when
putting it into reverse.......

Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Back in the day they put auto's in 428's. I hardly think an auto in this version is a cry for revolution. I went with the auto for some simple reasons. I drive in traffic when I decide to take the car to work. I don't use my car as a "tire smoking" beast. I cruise with the top down. I went with a vert because I already have a classic fastback hard top. It's 2006, and the manual shifting of gears just doesn't cut it for me. I can see how someone would want that feature. But not me. BTW..my auto doesn't "clunk"... In addition, I figure the cost of the auto option ($1000) equals the cost of the eventual clutch resurfacing/replacement. 5 speeds either get abused on purpose, or suffer abuse from multiple drivers who engage the clutch differently. I went with the vert because I've never owned one before. This car is just another toy. I don't drive it in bad weather and it will only see winter when the garage door gets opened. I admit that sometimes I envy some of the body options that the hardtop guys can add. But when the tops down on a balmy summer evening..that envy vanishes.