Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-3 shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 2-3 shifting

Glad to hear it man, I am sure you will be happy with your decision.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Riven02

Through talking with 1QuickShortBus and Mike @ Powerhouse, I beleive this mod will be safe. The main reason I came to that conclusion (Other than I do trust these guys know what they are talking about) is I verified the torque limiters mount directly to the block. I can not see the loads becomming high enough to fracture the 1" deep threads in the block. My initial conserns stemed mainly from the thought that it bolted to the bellhousing alone and that it held the motor by the transmission. I will be ordering a k-member torque limiter very soon. Then hopfully shifting will be as smooth as glass or *** whichever you perfer.
Thats exactly how it looked to me. Which is why I said I'd go with the solid motor mount. If it does in fact mount to the block, I'd go for it. See, it's good to ask questions.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:19 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus
However if you purchase the limiters with rod ends you may get a little more vibration (and I mean very little) with poly ends you would get hardly any if any addtional vibration (would be the same as the poly mounts).
Have to call a polite [sm=bs.gif]on "and I mean very little"...

I just put in the Prothane mounts to solve clearance issues and...

Depending on what you are used to and expecting, there is a significant increase in the amount of vibration transferred through to the car with poly-mounts and the torque limiters.

If you are like me or evidently QSB - then you won't mind a bit and will appreciate the additional information about your engine is doing...

If you had come to appreciate the more refined, smooth running 05/06 then you WILL notice the difference...

You can tell when you let the clutch out too slow, you can tell when the engine is or isn't warm...
Old 08-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

ORIGINAL: Riven02

Through talking with 1QuickShortBus and Mike @ Powerhouse, I beleive this mod will be safe. The main reason I came to that conclusion (Other than I do trust these guys know what they are talking about) is I verified the torque limiters mount directly to the block. I can not see the loads becomming high enough to fracture the 1" deep threads in the block. My initial conserns stemed mainly from the thought that it bolted to the bellhousing alone and that it held the motor by the transmission. I will be ordering a k-member torque limiter very soon. Then hopfully shifting will be as smooth as glass or *** whichever you perfer.
Thats exactly how it looked to me. Which is why I said I'd go with the solid motor mount. If it does in fact mount to the block, I'd go for it. See, it's good to ask questions.

It appears to bolt to the 1st hole in the block right at the starter on the passenger side. There is only 2 bolts that do not go into the block and they are on the very bottom.

Have to call a polite on "and I mean very little"...

I just put in the Prothane mounts to solve clearance issues and...

Depending on what you are used to and expecting, there is a significant increase in the amount of vibration transferred through to the car with poly-mounts and the torque limiters.

If you are like me or evidently QSB - then you won't mind a bit and will appreciate the additional information about your engine is doing...

If you had come to appreciate the more refined, smooth running 05/06 then you WILL notice the difference...

You can tell when you let the clutch out too slow, you can tell when the engine is or isn't warm...
I really dont think this will bother me or the wife. I dont know how severe we are talking but a little shaking is not a problem.

Also I expect it will make it feel more muscle car like when stepping down on the pedal. Did u guys notice a change in the feel of the car when stepping on the gas?
Old 08-13-2006, 02:11 PM
sybidoc

Come on you guys, this is starting to sound like the girls locker room at period time.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:32 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sybidoc
Come on you guys, this is starting to sound like the girls locker room at period time.
Alrighty then... not sure exactly what that means, but then we are talking about "how it feels - down there..." Having spent exacctly zero time in that particular situation, perhaps I just don't know - how much time did you spend in the girls locker room discussing your period?[sm=joke.gif]

As for how much it changed the feel of stabbing the pedal?

hmmm, I can't say I noticed a huge difference other than the vibration... It certainly makes the whole car feel connected and solid. In theory it does speed up the translation of power to the wheels but, by ~5-10% of rotation - which isn't much when you consider a 3:55:1 or greater ratio on the rear...

Overall, once the car warms up, until someone figures out how to make cams for these engines that do more than sound pretty, it is a smooth engine, so if you are coming from the sports car side of the spectrum rather than the truck or lexus side, then it is all good...