Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinded a gear this morning, but why...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:43 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Grinded a gear this morning, but why...

ORIGINAL: Sn00ganS1337

It happened to me before. The first guy was correct as far as the cars having a first gear lockout. Don't worry about it but if it happens again, note the speed at which you put it in first and be careful next time. Maybe just put it in neutral until you get <15 then put it into first? That's what I've started doing
Yup..same for me!
This is the first stick car for me as well, and I am just getting in the habit of coasting up to a light in neutral. I won't even put it in first until it's time to go.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

Had a slight grind problem when shifting to first once in a while for really slow corners.. Ive also had a major grind into second while accelerating Hard... Operator error i suppose[&:]
Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

at that speed shift to 2nd alot of new cars wouldnt let you shift to first at that speed
Old 09-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Glengemen
2nd Gear Member

Guys, you aren't driving 4 cylinders here, right? The only time my car touches first gear in coming off a stop, and If I do a rolling stop I am in second. Just let the V8 do its thing, and you will probably accelerate faster without shifting. Just my opinion.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:07 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

The tranny is supposed to be a little "notchy" in the morning(car's not up to temp yet). I start work every morning at 5:30 and since I live so close to work(about 3 miles) my poor GT isn't even up to temp yet(I let it warm up for 5 minutes before leaving home) by the time I get to work. The tranny seems to take longer to warm up......you gotta respect that transmission in the morning....take it super easy....besides I'm so paranoid about getting a ticket(car's too fast for average traffic) I usually have Hondas, Toyotas and Geos get around me in the morning(moral victory they can brag to their equally impressionable buddies)....take care of your baby! Treat her right and the possibilities are endless.
I know exactly how you feel! I have about the same distance to work. I used to get really depressed about how crappy my manual shifting was when I just went to work and back. I couldn't figure out how I could be so inconsistant with my shifting technique. Then I starting "taking the long way home", and at the end of my trip, it was feeling a lot better. It just takes a while for that tranny to get warmed up, I guess.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glengemen

Guys, you aren't driving 4 cylinders here, right? The only time my car touches first gear in coming off a stop, and If I do a rolling stop I am in second. Just let the V8 do its thing, and you will probably accelerate faster without shifting. Just my opinion.

amen!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:51 PM
raptorkingcobra
1st Gear Member

Do you think its possible you did not get it in gear all the way?