Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i Just put on a full exhaust system on My 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

Default i Just put on a full exhaust system on My 05 GT

Hello i just last night put on a new exhaust system not removing the headers but everything else. I am no mechanic and my wife and i put it on with some help from my father. IT took 7 hours due to some stupid things that ford did that tripped us up. First off the parts were Slp cats and x pipe and moto blue over axle and rs series mufflers. The hardest part and most time consuming was getting the old cats off. They made near impossible to get to the passenger side bolts. Also they were on there so hard that it took superman to get them off. We had to heat them up with a torch 5 times to loosen them and then they screamed like a banshee when they came loose. After that it was not too hard but just time consuming. There were three o2 sensors that i had to move into new places and the hardest was the top on the p-side. I needed to remove it from the harness holder keeping it in place to give it the extra half inch to fit in the new hole. Also SLP supplied extensions for the other two o2 sensors which worked great. We got all the bolts loose and off but it would not come off the rubber grommets that hold all the exhaust in place. I needed to remove the mufflers from the back in order to get the hole system out. The muffler is held up by two rubber grommets. Each are held on by two 13m bolts. Take those off and it made everything easy. Once we got the system off the fun started. A big suggestion is to put never ces on all the bolts. it helped when i needed to remove the bolts a couple of times to adjust the pipes. The slp pipes where perfect and fit great and the tail pipes were also fitted perfect. For after market they were better then factory. You need to start from the front a and work your way back. Tighten the front and then it makes it easy to adjust and fit the next pipes in the system. When you get to the mufflers put the rubber cromits on the pipe and then bolt them on. This was the easiest way i found to get them in place with the limited space. The dumbest part of the whole thing was that the stock muffler clamp you need to reuse is welded to the pipe and i needed to grind them off. This sucked because it destroyed the stock muffler. When i got the last bolt on i started the car and dang was it different. Also the power difference is incredible. I hope this helps anyone if they want to do this and remember i am not a mechanic and i did it. And with my wife. IF you have any questions please ask and i will answer as best as i can
Billy Jo
Old 10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: i Just put on a full exhaust system on My 05 GT

first, let me say welcome to the site. I have to ask you, how do you like the MotoBlue RS Axle-backs?? Planning on ordering the RS's tommarrow. I also have the Pypes X-pipe as well and hoping I can get the axle-backs by friday, so I can install everything by Saturday. The RS glasspack design should compliment the X pipe pretty well to give, hopfully a LOUD, DEEP Sound, Please tell me I'm correct LOL [sm=smiley36.gif]. and do you or could you make a sound clip. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 10-01-2006, 11:37 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

Hello and thankyou for the reply. They are a deep aggressive sound that makes the pony sound as mean as she is. when your cruising they are not so loud and it seems very stock but when you hit it you can feel it in your chest. Pretty awsome. The sound clip, no i dont got that tech stuff, So sorry but if i were you i would go to a car parts store and get new band clips for the mufflers so you dont need to take the old ones off,
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

AWESOME!!, yeah, right now I have on Flow 40's, so the exhaust clips have already been off, so no biggie to re-take'em off. Same with the flows, they are a little louder then stock during cruising and there louder when you get on it, I'm looking for head turning loud when I get on it now LOL [sm=smiley4.gif]. I think the RS's is going to be it, thanks for the info and keep up the good work on the Stang [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

oh ya it turns heads alright, lets just say i take it easy by cops now.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:29 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

hello to anyone, its been a week and i have gased up twice, i travel a ton and i added 2 and a half miles per gallen so my stang is now getting 25 miles a gallon with my set up. i couldnt believe the math.