Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will it take to beat an SS Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

Default RE: What will it take to beat an SS Camaro?

As already stated, the LS1 fbodies were under rated HP wise from the factory. The motors were basically the same at the C5 corvettes which were rated at 350 HP. Most LS1's are going to be modified too so unless you are ready to do some real power mods (heads, cam, NOS, supercharger etc), they are going to be tough to beat. However, you can take advantage of their one big weakness on the street. The fbodies have a very weak rear end and because of it, it's hard to make them launch hard without breaking something unless the owner sprung for a 12 bolt. Optimize your suspension and tires for the best 60 foot time and you often will have such a large start that they never catch up. Otherwise, break out the wallet
Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 PM
The Real Dodge

Why is it so many are hung up on the fact that even with the SS gone they still try to find ways to beat it I just don't get it. 12 Bolt rearend? I guess I was lucky that none of my rear ends ever broke in either my Z or my SS? The only rear end I ever broke was in my 70 Fastback after I had the motor built. Tore the thing right out in the middle of the road. The SS driver and I laughed so hard that night and oh yeah I lost. Mustang GT equals low buck HP Fun enjoy it.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fast Toys

As already stated, the LS1 fbodies were under rated HP wise from the factory. The motors were basically the same at the C5 corvettes which were rated at 350 HP. Most LS1's are going to be modified too so unless you are ready to do some real power mods (heads, cam, NOS, supercharger etc), they are going to be tough to beat. However, you can take advantage of their one big weakness on the street. The fbodies have a very weak rear end and because of it, it's hard to make them launch hard without breaking something unless the owner sprung for a 12 bolt. Optimize your suspension and tires for the best 60 foot time and you often will have such a large start that they never catch up. Otherwise, break out the wallet

Very true! They only have a 7" rear!

Compare that to our 8.0 for V6 and 8.8 for GT...

I've seen MORE than my fair share of FBodies leave some gears on the line.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:35 PM
cesar5571
1st Gear Member

I agree. Mustangs are very reasonably priced for what you get... good looks, good HP, collectability. Who cares what cars can beat them on the track. There are plenty of cars that the Stang can beat, and plenty of ways to upgrade and modify on the cheap.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:57 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

Yea, Stock for stock the camaro is a faster car. The LS1 is rated at like 310 HP but actuall puts around 305 Horses to the Ground.

If you want to run with stock z28's, a Tune and 4.10's will have you eating them. Just hope he isn't H/C/I [8D]

Just put a blower on your car and give those 3.73's there full use.

Most LS1 F-Body Drivers will be running mid 13's which is what a good driver in a stock S197 GT will run.

Both of our cars are extremely moddable but I would give the edge to the maro beucase of the Forged internals.
LSx engines do not come with forged internals.

Stock vs stock the 3V and an LS1 f-body is a pretty even race, maybe a very slight edge to the Camaro, but not so much that good driving could not overcome it. A well drivin LS1 should be a very low 13 second car stock, from what I have seen the 3v will be a mid-low 13 car. A set of drag radials,a CAI and tune will put you ahead of one stock. Once we start modding everything goes out the window. For the record LS1's are very moddable and there are probably more parts for them than the 3v's right now. Mine has most bolt ons and a cam and has put down 393 rwhp, it runs high 11's.
Really? I have heard that a few times when I hear people talking about there LS1's making 600 RWHP on stock internals. Iunno, I guess they were just BSing, thanks for the correction!
600 rwhp might be a stretch on stock internals but 500 rwhp is pretty common, esp on a nitrous car.