Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright high beam indicator

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:07 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default Bright high beam indicator

Maybe it's just me, but the high beam indicator light on the instrument panel of my '07 GT is too bright. And the instrument panel dimmer doesn't dim it. You can even turn the other lights compeletely off, but the high beam indicator is as bright as ever.

Is there any way I can dim the thing?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:15 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Bright high beam indicator

why are you driving with your brights on to begin with? i drove with mine on once and that driving back from vegas in pitch black darkness. maybe check your owners manual and see if there is anyway to dim it.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

I don't have my manual on me but I am pretty sure there is no way to dim it from the factory. If you are good with electronics you could maybe put a resistor in series with the light to dim it but it would not be adjustable for brightness. That or run the wires out to a pot for adjustment but then you'd have to find a place to mount it. I think Ford's idea was they wanted you to know when the brights were on even if you dim the other lights. When I bought mine, it was night. When I turned off the highway and put the brights on I too noticed how bright the indicator was so I know what you mean.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:35 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

It is bright but it reminds you that they are on. It is not bright enough to annoy me really. How much driving do you do with them on anyway?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Put like a piece of tape over it. do you really drive with your brights on that much...
Old 01-20-2007, 01:15 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

In answer to several people's question, there is one road that I drive regularly that is two lane, dark, and without much traffic. And it periodically gets potholes that I'd like to be able to see.

Maybe I should put some window film over that part of the instrument cluster. Or tape, LOL. Don't know that I want to dig into the dash and possibly void my warranty.

As with most things, there are things that could be improved with this car, this being one of them, but I do love my Mustang, so I guess I'll just put up with its downsides.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

Turn your foglights on instead?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Maybe I should put some window film over that part of the instrument cluster. Or tape, LOL. Don't know that I want to dig into the dash and possibly void my warranty.
This will be quite hard since the wires all connect using a harness with very little play in it. You can remove the panel and then take the clear plastic off and possibly change the light for this indication.

As with most things, there are things that could be improved with this car, this being one of them, but I do love my Mustang, so I guess I'll just put up with its downsides.
This is not a problem that ford needs to improve on. There are very few people who have a problem with the indication. There are other things that can be improve but this would not even be on the list.

If you have this much of a problem with it wear sunglasses!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

now there's an idea ^. When you get pulled over with the sunglasses on, be sure to say it's because your high beam indicator is too bright! LMAO.

Since I haven't pulled my dash apart, I can't say how hard or easy it would be to do so. Your best bet will probably be to live with it. I did notice it is brighter than my 2000 was and it reflects off the chrome guage rings making it look like 3 lights so I know what you're talking about. That and I usually dim my dash lights at night. With a choice of bright light or being able to see the potholes, I'd rather see the potholes.