Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new blower!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My new blower!!

In theory it could work. The boost can be controlled in multiple ways. 1) it can be controlled with a blow off valve or2)boost can be controlled with a rheostat for the power supplied to the electric fan. As the throttle is depressed the rheostat increases the wattage (voltsx amps = watts) to the electric fan.

Of course no actual gain can be seen without also controlling fuel and timing.

The biggest question is how many watts would be needed to run an electric fan that could actually build 5-6lbs of boost.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Exactly, fans don't built pressure, compressors do. The amperage it would take to build pressure from a 12V fan would be enormous.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:55 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i cant see spinning the motor fast enough with enough power to make it build boost being that difficult especially if you were to incorporate some sort of gear reduction. from dealing with r/c cars i know electric speed controls are failry simple devices. i dont think it would even need a blow off valve because if the boost was too high it could simply slow down the motor and lower it (although a blow off valve may be simpler)

SO, you have it hooked into the system taking its readings from the throttle position sensor (or some other sensor) and have it increase the electric turbos rpms as the engine revs. yes a tune would be in order, just like if you installed a regular turbo or supercharger. i see this being viable since the production costs would be cheaper (i would think), the installation would be easier, it could be more accurately controlled since its electronic, and it wouldnt rob HP to make it turn.

look, an uber cheesey technical picture of this fabulous high tech device....

\

controlled by something similar to this:

Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Exactly, fans don't built pressure, compressors do. The amperage it would take to build pressure from a 12V fan would be enormous.
I'm sure the electrical demands are the only reason this isn't viable. You could essentially remove the exhaust driven side of a turbo and replace it with an electric motor. You wouldn't need an intercooler system as the electric motor wouldn't add heat to the air charge.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i would think with some sort of gear reduction box (which would be simple enough to incorporate) you could get the power needed to turn the turbo to a acceptable level.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:04 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

My77stang......you beat me to it.....you and I are definitely on the samepage.A turbo driven by an electric motor would be the best set-up ifthisis at allviable. I too was thinking about a R/C speed control (electronic Rheostat). Gear reduction would allow for a smaller motor with a lower electrical demand too.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:04 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Wish I had the compressor side of a turbo to play with. Anyone have the parts to test some ideas?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

This is from their wesite FAQ:
http://www.tempestperformance.com/help.html

Is Everything included?

We include in our kits the supercharger, 10ft of wiring, a high quality toggle switch and our installation instructions. For a limited time we will also be giving away a free AIT chip.
[hr]

What is the free AIT “chip”?

The AIT chip is just a small resistor we give away with all of our units and have found them to be a hidden gem in car performance. They install simply and are relatively inexpensive. You simply unplug your stock AIT sensor and plug in the AIT resistor to create a richer Air/Fuel Mixture.
So in addition to their electric supercharger that will work on any car, they also sell a magic resistor that will replace the AIT (Air Intake Temperature) sensor on any car for additional gains.

What a scam.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Figure it would take about 20A in a 120V elctric motor to build adequate boost. That equates to 200A in a 12v system = very heavy wires and I'm not sure about the size of the motor, but probably pretty big. However, this motor could be mounted "upstream"at the front of it's own tube. A "Y" system could be used in the intake pipe, one side of the "Y" being the traditional filter and tube and the other end of the "Y" having a tube with the fan attached. The traditional intake side of the "Y" having a check valve so as pressure builds from the fan side it doesn't get blown out the filter side, instead going to the intake manifold.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

its not really electric.... theres a lil midget inside and he gets sprayed with pepper, making him sneeze causing the high air pressure

Quick Reply: My new blower!!