Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Water Leaks

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

This is a problem in a minority of cars. Remember that this is a discussion forum, and many people post to ask questions about problems. Very few post to say "my car is fine today."

If somebody posted a poll to see how many mustang owners have a leak problem, I will bet it is less than 2% (though i have no data to support it).

There is another guy who put up a post recently where he has decided against buying a mustang because of all of the "problems" posted on the forum. While that is certainly his prerogative, that is probably the worst way to sample ownership experiences since most posted originally find the board to ask questions about problems, rather than to post "the car is fine today."

Of course you could check consumer reports....but the mustang review grid has been filled with black circles for over 20 years......yet people like me keep buying em and coming back for more.

THat would be me. While it was NOT my intention to offend half the board, i have gotten some PM's from owners who agreed with me.

I have set up some polls for a general view of how reliable the S197's are.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2513273/tm.htm

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58821

Here's the thread where all the commotion was https://mustangforums.com/m_2615486/tm.htm

Be well,
-Jun-
Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pork

In response tocelenztah's comment"OK.... so you must be saying... "buy a kewl 'stang.. it'll be fine like mine if you don't drive it in the rain."

Quote from 2nd post" This is a problem in a minority of cars. Remember that this is a discussion forum, and many people post to ask questions about problems. Very few post to say "my car is fine today."

I was being facetious, I quit being "kewl" years ago. I bought this car to enjoy on Sunny days & I don't drive it in the rain, or snow or other bad weather. It's tucked away in a heated garage for the balance of this nasty Ohio winter. Hopefully the care I give it today will be appreciated by the guy that owns it 25 years from now when it's a valuable classic...
Sorry, didn't catch the initial correlation "very few people post to say my car is fine today".In that light, your reply ispretty funny and inevitably "kewl".

There actually are folks who post in some of these leak threads,"I don't have the leak, but I don't drive in the rain." I just happened to choose yours to speak up a bit about.

I think that the seriousness of having water enter your car with rains or possiblycar washes is somehow diminished by many (those who do not have the leak in particular) into the category of perhaps dash rattles and such simply because it does not seem to pose an immediatesafety threat.For those with theelectrical issues stemming from the leak... there is a safety problem. And for anyone with the leak, there is a serious resale value problem.

Wether or not there isonly a tiny percentage of S197 owners who are victims of"the leak" and given that assembly errors and defects occur in all sorts of cars...Istill find ithard to understand howthis sort ofthing could slip through to much of any degree.

Before shipment, new cars should be tested for water tightness a bit more vigorously than perhaps they already are?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
pork
1st Gear Member

I am very happy with my 07 Gt Vert.

I have been on the other side of the coin with Mother Ford when I made the mistake of buying a new03 6.0 diesel F250. After more than 40 days in the shop & a multitude of problems I filed for & got the buyback... A check for the full purchase price plus any accessories I had receipts for.
The 6.0 diesel was a major boo boo for Ford and they have paid dearly. I do not see the problems with the mustang being anywhere
near the level of the 6.0. Not that there aren't problems, but more on the level of most american cars you buy today..