Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: bad accident

Don't expect it to be totaled. I got hit by a car doing almost 90 in a brand new Tacoma X-Runner a few years ago. 16,000 in repair and the insurance fixed it. When it was all said and done they paid over 18,000 in repairs and car rentals to get it rightand the truck was never the same. Traded it in a few months later.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The stang absorbed all the impact like it was designed
to do hence all the damage. I would also not want some
repaired POS when I HAD a like new vehicle.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:27 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

DAM!! I hate to hear of another stang getting the s**t knocked out of!!! Buddy, Ive been there, done that, got the T-shirt.....if you have a few minutes, go read up on the outcome of my rearend crash, you might get some good info out of it. I can tell ya, the chances of a total are slim to none and I know that is not what you want to hear but you could come out in front on this one!!!!

https://mustangforums.com/m_3002000/tm.htm(there are also pics in my gallery of the some of the exterior damage)

Good luck to ya!!!!!

BTW....glad to hear you were not too badly hurt!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

imyy4y, Sorry about you being hurt, yea that does suck. As for the laws in your state, check with your insurance company, or if you have an Insurance Commission in your State. As for you being hurt, and situation with your car,Call A Lawyer. You are probably going to need one. You said she rear ended you. Most likely her fault. She may say, “but he stopped right in front of me†IMHO get a Lawyer.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

28HopUp, Yea, yea. Canal, ditch, whatever.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

so on monday night i was i290 heading west out of chicago to visit my parents when some dipsh!t in a POS 1996 toyota tercel rearended me at about 50mph. airbags went off, windshield shattered, and her hood was an accordian. f'ed up the back of my car royally...bent the frame like crazy, destroyed my rear bumper, pushed in my dual exhaust, etc. now i have a 2006 GT 5spd that is not even 1 year old...owe like $17k on it still.

do you think they'll total my car? it's obvious her car is totaled...but what about mine? i mean it IS driveable (my airbags didn't go off), but the rear exhaust is f'ed up really bad, so is the bumper, and the frame is bent. i mean crap, i do NOT want them to fix it and be like, "here ya go!" because damn, i don't want a car with frame damage. AT ALL. it will never drive the same, and i don't think it's fair. plus her shattered windshield went all over my car chipping the paint all over the place. what do you think? totaled? i know you want pics, i'll put them up ASAP...
Imyy4u,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I too live in Chicago and have traveled the same route many times before. Everyone on the I290 thinks that they're a "Bad ***" and drive crazy at times...

First, your insurance company should call your car totaled and give you a check for the value of the car. If not, have it repaired and trade it in immedicately for a new Mustang or a good used one...

Second, if you have aches and pains, SEE A DOCTOR, get an MRI and sue her insurance company for your physical injuries...

My wife got into the same kind of accident years ago and she (like a kind person) did not sue the other driver...

Now, she has re-occurring pain in her back, neck and legs. She has said to me several times that she should have sued for damages. If this ever happens to her again, I'm sure that she will sue (BIG TIME)...

My cousin got into an accident when a driver fell asleep behind the wheel and wrecked his car...

His car was totaled so he got$20,000 for the car and a check for $50,000 for his injuries...

Now - he drives a Mercedes!!! (Go Figure)...

Good Luck and let us know what happens to you...

Dave
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

Never take a broken car ... I did... and my car dosent' drive the same... but I am slowy changing all the damaged parts into after market.. even thougt everything was already changed more then once with original Ford parts, it still dosen't drive the same..
Old 06-20-2007, 04:42 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

That sucks man...

I really hope things turn out well, and I hope you don't have a concussion.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I forget what the law is here in IL, but if I remember correctly the damage has to be somewhere around 75-80% of the value of the car to be called totaled. I could be wrong though. Good luck with everything and I hope your injuries aren't too bad. I can't stand Chicago drivers, it seems like most of them drive with their heads up their asses.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I can't remember what it is called exactly, but when I went to insure my car, they added something to my policy which basically is a replacement clause. If the car is damaged beyond a certain extent, they will not give you market value for the car, they will buy you another brand new car just like what you had. I don't know how long this is valid, I thought it was 2 years, so you might still be within the limits for this. I don't know who your insurance agency is, or if they have that, mine is Country. It's worth asking though, it costs me like another $5-$10 a month for that, something I was willing to pay for the next year or two.

Quick Reply: bad accident