Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat dissapointed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Somewhat disappointed.

It's your first time out, don't sweat it. Look at the positives, 1. You got some track time, so next time the edge is off. 2. You obviously learned something about your launch, shaved nearly 3/4's of a second off your time. 3. were out with friends, and enjoying yourself. Life is good, Mustangs make it better
Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Somewhat disappointed.

ORIGINAL: Justin_R

Hell no you never do a neutral drop, just hold the brakes rev it till you find a comfortable rpm range before you start braking loose hold it there and then when the green light comes let go of the brake and floor it.
My cousin-in law is a Ford expert and he said the new automatic transmissions don't like to be "power-braked", by which he meant holding the brake, giving it gas until it won't rev any higher without going somewhere, and releasing the brake/slamming the gas. That's what I had been doing for more than a dozen runs on two different nights.

So what were the effects of taking his advice to hold the brake lightly, and slam the gas from idle? Slower ETs, lower terminal speeds, but getting down the track in front of the car in the next lane (quicker overall reaction time).

Now in another forum I read the best technique is to hold the brake, find about 1200 rpm, and slam the gas just before letting off the brake. "It sets the computer to hold it that split second". Huh?

Any road, the tree at Qualcomm eighth-mile drags is so quick that for my old reflexes, I hit the gas when the second light goes off. Best RT was .030, consistent .10s.

Received wisdom is: it's cute and fun, and very ricer to do burnouts on street tires?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Somewhat dissapointed.

OP trust me the person who is the gonna be the most critical of your track times will always be yourself...between this forum and my local one people are giving me the thumbs up for my work on the track but I won't be satisfied until I get the twelve second timeslip I know the car is capable of with the current mods...so we're in the same boat really.
p.s. I guess if you're gonna make racing a habit, a good slushbox tune (b*a*m*a* chips maybe), some drag radials and a stall converter are in your future. IDK if sixers wheel hop but if so, rear ca's also. also I envy you autos at the track...everytime I turn around I'm spinning off the line, or bogging, shifting too slowly or banging against the (already dialed up to 6800rpm via brenspeed tune) rev limiter[:@]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Somewhat dissapointed.

You can find track elevation correction factors at NHRA.com.