Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Strip Warrenty Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drag Strip Warrenty Question

+ 1, and well said
Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Warranty Warranty Warranty. What about taking it to the track for the right reason a safe, legal enviroment for you to get the speed bug out of your system. Tell him you want him to go with you then once your there make a decision together.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

wow
some of your stealerships suck
me and my family have bought 100's of cars from our local dealership
they treat me like gold when my car goes there broke they fix it no questions asked (its not like they are working on it for free)
and they let me go pick out loaners from the lot. so
I dont see myself buying anything anywhere else anytime soon
Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

any dealership worth a penny should recognize if a car's being raced and then offer to sell the guy race parts! They could actually MAKE money!
Of course the insurance company could end up dropping you and then you'd have some big explaining to do!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

If you ever need work just make sure to remove all proof of your racing (race numbers, timeslips out of car, rubber stuck to fenders and in wheelwells, etc.
It can come down to the dealer...I work at a dodge store and we got an SRT4 for a bad steering rack, with race numbers on it and nitrous installed...the tech wanted customer pay labor but the service director said no, the nitrous/racing wouldn't cause the rack to leak, so it's a case by case thing...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The odds of breaking something with the stock power are slim at best. Add a blower and some slicks and increase your chances.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

I agree with making the outing a bonding event with your dad. My 21 year old and I have been racing together for a few years now. We both get our need for speed out at the dragstrip, and enjoy competing with each other as our mod list grows and quarter mile times shrink. I have the '05 and he has an '87 GT he built himself.

Lots of racers in my area and the dealerships know what the signs are, and deny claims if they can. You may need to be persistent, but they can and will void warrenties based on abuse at the racetrack.

If you want to get insurance (for blowing the engine or slamming into a wall) just use Google to start...for us, well, we just scour junk yards or put down hard earned cash...

John
Old 08-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Well i did not go to the drag strip, Instead i shot up state and hit up Lake george for the weekend of relaxing.. I see his points.. but I guess ill just wait till I move out in a year or so before Worrying about doing somthing he says no too.. *sigh* The problems of living home at 25.. and driving a nice car..
Old 08-12-2007, 04:52 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ yeah I lived with my dad until I was 22, and paid him rent to boot...whenever he started questioning where I was going, what I was doing I wanted to tell him, "I pay to livehere, you're basicly a landlord so lay off"...of course I never did lol...
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Tell your dad that is a good way to get young people killed cause it encourages them to race on the street which is STUPID.

Here are the FACTS. Racing at a strip WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY in any way shape or form.

HOWEVER - almost all insurance companies will not cover you for any damages that are incurred at the racetrack. If for some reason you have an accident at the track. Make sure you ask/pay someone to take your car out off of the track property (there are lots of guys with trailers so this will not be difficult) Once you are off the property, then it is safe to call AAA or roadside assistance and never admit to breaking the car at a racetrack or your insurance claim will be denied.

If this fact is a spoiler with your dad, then let him know that you can purchase seperate insurance for drag racing coverage. Just search around the internet, there are several companies who offer it...

Other than that, it is perfectly fine, not just fine, but THE RIGHT THING TO DO, to take your car to a safe track for some fun.

That depends. Some warranties say exclusively that if you race the car in any way, shape, or form, that you void the warranty.

My 2002 Saturn SC2 said that the warranty would be voided if the car was raced. However, there were numerous times that I took it to the track and raced it, mostly as an autocross event (although, I did take it to the dragstrip a few times with friends, just to see if I could beat their Saturn). However, I had problems that were warranty related...After the car had been raced. I didn't tell them, and they didn't ask. Don't leave evidence (like a helmet in the back seat, or the shoe polish on the windows) when you take it in for warranty.