Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The infamous "leak issue".

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:00 AM
MalibuJerry350
1st Gear Member

Default The infamous "leak issue".

I posted this under the "leak thread", but I'm posting here as well so the rest of the members see it.

Well, the ugly "leak issue" finally raised its ugly head last night. While parked in front of a friends house during a horrendous thunderstorm (which resulted in a monsoon downpour for at least 10 minutes) I noticed water dripping from under the dash on the passenger side! The car was actually facing "down hill" at the time, which differs from most of the other situations where other members had their vehicle facing uphill. I was able to pull the rubber mat under the leak and stack some towels under the dripping water. The car has only around 3000 miles left on the warranty and, considering the problems most members have had in having a dealer correct the problem, I've decided to tackle the leak myself. I've looked at the TSB concerning the problem and I'm going to pull the cowl cover off today to take a look. In the 16 1/2 months I've owned the car, this is the first time the problem has occurred. I've driven it in MANY heavy rainstorms before, but always moving. This is the first time it was exposed to such a torrential rainfall for that period of time, while parked in that position. Just wanted to add my GT to the list of "leakers". Sigh.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: The infamous "leak issue".

Just ny opinion, but if I were you, I wouldn't touch it before the dealer has a chance to fix it at least once. Get it to them and get in acknowledged as a problem in their system before eyour warranty is up. Even if you only had 5 miles left on your warranty, if you report a problem before the warranty expires, it will be covered even if the fix continues after the it expires. Also, once you start messing with it, it will be easy for them to say that your alterations have "modified" the car and decline to cover it under warranty.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i think he has weighed the pros and cons of taking
it to the dealership and has come to the conclusion, that
it's not worth the risk and hassle.

ie. kids throwing the keys at the windshield....etc....
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
MalibuJerry350
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i think he has weighed the pros and cons of taking
it to the dealership and has come to the conclusion, that
it's not worth the risk and hassle.

ie. kids throwing the keys at the windshield....etc....
The problem is, the dealer I purchased the car from is no longer a Ford dealer, so I've been taking it to another LARGE Ford/Lincoln Mercurydealer for oil changes as well as the fuel pump issue. It took me many trips to get that problem resolved, even after I printed out the related TSB. Most dealers in this part of NJ are spoiled by the large population center in their area, so they don't "go the extra mile" to help. After working on cars for over 40 years, and with numerous restorations under my belt, at this time I'd rather methodically troubleshoot it myself. Less "blood pressure issues" that way. I'll mention it to them next week when I get the oil changed, but I can see the "deer in the headlights look" now.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:45 PM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

i fixed my leak a long time ago,,,,you have to take the windsheild wipers/cowl off,,,then you will notice how small leaves/bugs and other crap builds up,,then the water rises to a certain point then flows into the car...i made a little screen to keep crap from getting into it.....did this almost 8 months ago and had never leaked again
Old 08-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

i say give the dealership one shot and tell them everything you know about the problem and ask to be there when they tackle the leak repair. Make sure they seam seal the pinch weld under the wiper cowl! Only fix that will fix it ! Good Luck!