Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gauges are essential for SC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: What gauges are essential for SC?

I would get the fuel pressure gauge instead of the intercooler gauge IMHO. The A/F ratio and fuel pressure gauge will help with different aspects of the fuel system as a whole and how the pump in the back is working. Your logic makes sense too but I worry more about the pressure in the fuel system and the intercooler temp gauge to me would be better suited for drag racing and the track. I dont go to the track often so this is not a concern at this time.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

ORIGINAL: androdz

Just leave him alone that kid has no idea of what he is getting to. Let him blow his engine then cry all over the net. He has no idea about the basic of engine tuning nor anything else for that matter. The fact is if you want to pull some serious hp you need gauges... END OF STORY. If you are looking to pull 390hp@ the wheels then that is ur problem not mine. You wont even beat a z06 with what you are doing. Like I said get some experience before you start posting opinions out of ur a.hole. The only s/c tune that is right on from what I have seen is the KB.

Andrew
i'm pretty happy with my saleen supercharger from brenspeed with their custom tune i pulled 409 rwhp. So maybe you havn't seen enough?

and yes i have no gauges oh no my car is going to blow up! Ok Gauges are coming in a few weeks but i'm not crying over not having them.
Your tune is not a saleen canned tune it is a tune from brenspeed. And at 409 rwhp you are no where near the limits of the engine and are not pushing it hard to require gauges. Yet if you are looking for some high hp you will need it since you will have to lean it out a tad, advance a few degrees to get more hp. Thats where you start crossing into the grey zone so to speak. But dont worry with the saleen you wont be able to pass 14 psi so you will be good.

Andrew
Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

i'm pretty happy with my saleen supercharger from brenspeed with their custom tune i pulled 409 rwhp. So maybe you havn't seen enough?

and yes i have no gauges oh no my car is going to blow up! Ok Gauges are coming in a few weeks but i'm not crying over not having them.
Your tune is not a saleen canned tune it is a tune from brenspeed. And at 409 rwhp you are no where near the limits of the engine and are not pushing it hard to require gauges. Yet if you are looking for some high hp you will need it since you will have to lean it out a tad, advance a few degrees to get more hp. Thats where you start crossing into the grey zone so to speak. But dont worry with the saleen you wont be able to pass 14 psi so you will be good.

Andrew

[/quote]

I think my whole point was I'm happy with what I got. I spoke to saleen and using their stock systemmy numbers are a little high since i upgraded pully and belt. Using the stock saleen tune will not get you more power. Also not using the saleen tune will void your warranty. If you don't get it installed at an authorized dealer it voids the warranty. If you use any other pully then the stock pully will void the warranty. (thought I would throw this info in i found out later)
I don't know what your talking about. I guess i missed the part in the thread where this guy said he wanted 14psi. I know I don't. I don't want to spend more money rebuilding my daily driver. I also don't want to spend extra cash doing the frame work involved. AND I know for a fact if you don't replace your pistons you will bend the crap out of it at over 500HP. Do you even know what it takes to run over 500 hp on a stock mustang?

I agree with this though "And at 409 rwhp you are no where near the limits of the engine and are not pushing it hard to require gauges. Yet if you are looking for some high hp you will need it since you will have to lean it out a tad," It all depends on what you want more power for. I wanted more power but still get many happy years with my car. I wasn't building a race car. Just a faster one. And after all this I do feel a gauge on the pumps would be nice.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

My 0.02, in this order of importance, being 1 nd 2 essentials and optional thereafter.

1.-) A/F Wideband, if you run leanwith a HOS/C your engine dies, end of story, if the fuel pump fails you'll notice too by reading the A/F mixture.
2.-) Boost, this reading will tell you how much boost you are making and will jumpif the belt is slipping.
3.-) Fuel pressure, will help you detect pressure drops while drag racing, cornering, accelerating, pump malfunctions.
4.-) I/C water temp, make sure you get a digital or the most sensitive one you can get the I/C coolant doesent get very hot and will not even move the needle of a conventional water temp gauge. will help pinpoint a water pump malfunction or heavy leak.

More gauges will require a flight engineer to read as you are supposed to be driving.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Figured so you have no experience being boosted in the last 10 years. End of discussion. You need gauges if you are boosted, thats like telling anyone can run a 125 shot without taking some timing of the tune and running colder plugs.

Andrew
You're right! That's exactly the same thing.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL:ANDRODZ

ORIGINAL:SEVENLEAF

I think my whole point was I'm happy with what I got. I spoke to saleen and using their stock systemmy numbers are a little high since i upgraded pully and belt. Using the stock saleen tune will not get you more power. Also not using the saleen tune will void your warranty. If you don't get it installed at an authorized dealer it voids the warranty. If you use any other pully then the stock pully will void the warranty. (thought I would throw this info in i found out later)
I don't know what your talking about. I guess i missed the part in the thread where this guy said he wanted 14psi. I know I don't. I don't want to spend more money rebuilding my daily driver. I also don't want to spend extra cash doing the frame work involved. AND I know for a fact if you don't replace your pistons you will bend the crap out of it at over 500HP. Do you even know what it takes to run over 500 hp on a stock mustang?

I agree with this though "And at 409 rwhp you are no where near the limits of the engine and are not pushing it hard to require gauges. Yet if you are looking for some high hp you will need it since you will have to lean it out a tad," It all depends on what you want more power for. I wanted more power but still get many happy years with my car. I wasn't building a race car. Just a faster one. And after all this I do feel a gauge on the pumps would be nice.

Andrew
Erm so you know for a fact that if you don't replace your pistons they will bend???? Hmmmmm... It is the rods not the pistons because the rods are a POS and made of powdered metal and the limit is 450hp. Right now I am running 462hp and close to 600 tq on my mustang so I think I have a general Idea of what it takes. The saleen tune is a very weak tune from the factory, you should get a dyno tune or atleast one a personal one from a mail order tuner. Not only it is will be more safe if you tell the tuner just to fix the A/F ratio so you dont have any lean/rich peaks and keep the timming conservative.

Andrew
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Figured so you have no experience being boosted in the last 10 years. End of discussion. You need gauges if you are boosted, thats like telling anyone can run a 125 shot without taking some timing of the tune and running colder plugs.

Andrew
You're right! That's exactly the same thing.
Well yes it is kinda the same thing because if you go boosted and dont have atleast a wideband then thats retarded from your part and if you are running 100+ nitrous w/o plugs or less timming then thats also retarded.

Andrew