Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with gas tank

Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with gas tank

Hmmm...I guess you're right. It would be similar to gassing a motorsickle (to say it like my daddy).
Old 12-06-2007, 11:51 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Hmmm...I guess you're right. It would be similar to gassing a motorsickle (to say it like my daddy).

I used to have a ****-a-sock-ee 400.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

Well what happens is the gas doesn't have time to transfer over to the passenger side of the tank. The drivers sump fills up causing it to click off. Thats why it happens around 7 gallons.If you were to pull the pump and senders out the passenger side would be dry while the drivers is full. Thats why it usually happens when the tank is ran low. Pumping it in slow is usually the best way to avoid it. It'll just take an extra minute to fill up.
And so how do the two tanks finally equalize out?
And how does the gas get back to the side with
the fuel level sender and pump during normal driving?
Not whining but always wondered and you seem to
have SOME knowledge about the subject.....
Thanks Prime
I had a print out from our Service Engineer when we were trying to figure the problem out. If I remember right there is a line the runs from one side to the other and works as a syphon. We tried modifying the filler neck and adjusting some other parts but found that with a high volume of fuel going in the syphon line was not able to keep up with the flow coming in. When running the pump and sender keeps the tank even. Thats why we never got the problem to happen when the pump was on the slowest speed. There really is no fix now unless you have an 05 without the updated tank. Otherwise I would tell customers to use the slow fill and come back if it still happens. Haven't had anyone back yet.
This article supersedes TSB 06-3-13 to update the vehicle model years.
ISSUE:[/u]
Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may experience premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle. Several variables, including variations in fuel pump nozzles, fuel flow rates, and fuel flow pressure may result in the premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle making it more difficult to fill the fuel tank.
The automatic shut off in the fuel fill nozzle may trigger multiple times after delivering several gallons of fuel or it may trigger repeatedly when attempting to establish fuel flow into the fuel tank. The latter concern may be more common when adding fuel to a vehicle where the fuel level is at or above 1/2 full.
ACTION:[/u]
Refer to Service Procedure.
SERVICE PROCEDURE[/b][/u]

On 2005 Mustangs vehicles built before 4/26/2005 that experience premature automatic shut-off of the fuel fill nozzle more than occasionally may benefit from replacing the fuel tank with a revised design tank per TSB 05-15-12. The revised design fuel tank may reduce the occurrence of premature automatic shut off.
On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006-2007 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off.
Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump. Unauthorized modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle are not reimbursable under warranty and are not recommended for this issue.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 PM
htvsean1
1st Gear Member

This would happen to me from time to time. When at the dealer for an oil change I asked about it and they told me to fill the talk a little slower. I started doing that and it never happened again.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I had the same problem... I took it to the dealer and the guy said Ford fixedtheproblem on2007+ models, but they replaced or fixed mytank anyway and I haven't had a problem again.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: 07BLACKGT

I had the same problem... I took it to the dealer and the guy said Ford fixedtheproblem on2007+ models, but they replaced or fixed mytank anyway and I haven't had a problem again.
I have an 07 and the problem was not fixed on mine. [:@]
Old 12-07-2007, 10:48 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: htvsean1

This would happen to me from time to time. When at the dealer for an oil change I asked about it and they told me to fill the talk a little slower. I started doing that and it never happened again.

I use the slow method, but it really depends on the pump. Some I have to fight it all the way through the fill up, and on others, once I get the flow going, I can go full speed. Sounds like prostrate trouble.