Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question over refund for paint proctection

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 PM
vcreed23

Default RE: question over refund for paint proctection

I've had the paint sealent done by a company called TST on my last three Fords and LOVE it, they say it's guaranteed for five years but my F150 is at the six year mark and it still looks like it was just waxed whenever I wash it. MUCH better than any wax I've ever used, I was skeptical but now I'm a believer, I don't even need to scrub on the bugs in the front, they just wash away. That's just my experience, the stuff this place uses blows "waxes" away, if you have a TST near you it does work. I can't speak for any other products but I know that this particular product definitly works.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: n47h4n

I do wish I'd found research on the paint protection etc. out there first, but it was my first new vehicle purchase.
Hell, I had already tried to grapple Ford's Advertising fund, extended warranty plan and all the other crap (which I did research).
I didn't agree to have the paint protection plan done right away, because I wanted to look into it. I just thought I could say no if nothing was done yet.

The plan was pushed by the Finance person during final sale papers, when you just want your car and want to keep it protected.
Everybody (dealers) seems to have a special name for those rip off packages too which adds to all the confusion.

My advice to others would simply be: don't agree to get ANYTHING other than the vehicle and any packages that come directly from the manufacturer.
And I did follow my own advice... up until the Paint Protect package crap.

I just want to get my money back now, you know.
Live and learn.
Thanks for the advice.
The only packaged plan I agreed on was the Electronics. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but now I'm not so sure. They made it sound like if anything electronically failed on the car it would be covered.

The Financial Manager wasn't pushy, when he asked I would say noand that was it.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I ordered my '06 GT 'verton the "X" plan, when most dealers were still charging way over MSRP for GT 'verts. The day I picked it up, when all the papers were being signed, I was told that whenever they sold a Mustang on the "X" plan, they kind of expected the buyer to take the dealer "VALUE PLAN" which is the paint sealant, undercoating, Scotchguard (On leather??) and so forth. I just looked him in the eye and said "NO". He said he'd have to discuss this with his boss. I said OK. 10 minutes or so later he came out and said (reluctantly) "OK". The snake oil package was like $1500 so something. That's BS.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

vcreed23 [sm=WTFsgign.gif] WHY would you dig up athread is almost2 years old, and choose to use it as your 1st post ? Are you tryin to get some free advertising for T*T ? [sm=closed.gif]
Old 02-10-2007, 04:40 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

I have a couple friends who used to sell cars and the call the paint and upholstery treatment the "mop and glop" treatment and they use the "playhouse 90 sales treatment" to sell it. It is sometimes more profitable than the vehicle sale. Just like alarms and extended warranties.When I bought mine 06 they tried to sell me an alarm for $795 on a vehicle that already had the active alarm system @ $360 on the window sticker. AND
there are a FEW up front and honest sales people at some dealerships...
Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I did the paint protection thing, but I should have read this forum before I did it..I thought it was a big deal, you know sealants and all, but is no more than a paste orwax type product that gets applied. Anyone can do it, for a cheaper price.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:36 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

I don't know where you guys are getting 5 years. The plan I got covers interior for 5 years and exterior for as long as I own the car. If a bug eats through the paint, they paint it. If it fades. They paint it
Old 02-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: n47h4n

I do wish I'd found research on the paint protection etc. out there first, but it was my first new vehicle purchase.
Hell, I had already tried to grapple Ford's Advertising fund, extended warranty plan and all the other crap (which I did research).
I didn't agree to have the paint protection plan done right away, because I wanted to look into it. I just thought I could say no if nothing was done yet.

The plan was pushed by the Finance person during final sale papers, when you just want your car and want to keep it protected.
Everybody (dealers) seems to have a special name for those rip off packages too which adds to all the confusion.

My advice to others would simply be: don't agree to get ANYTHING other than the vehicle and any packages that come directly from the manufacturer.
And I did follow my own advice... up until the Paint Protect package crap.

I just want to get my money back now, you know.
Live and learn.
Thanks for the advice.
I agree. I DID spend the money on the alarm system and the LoJack alarm, but part of that is that I wanted that from the start for the car (LoJack's been successful at preventing a lot of cars in my area from making across the border). The finance guy tried to push the paint protectant and interior protectant, and I told him, "Go look at the paint on the car I traded in. I never paid for it on that car, and I clayed it, detailed it out myself pretty much every time I washed it. The car looks like it's got brand new paint, with the exception of 2 rock chips in the hood. I'm not paying for the paint protectant. And the interior stuff is nothing more than a couple of cans of fancy Scotch Brite, so guess what? I can pick that up and do it myself for MUCH less than the cost of having you guys do it."

They didn't try to push it any further...They just kept trying to upsell me on the gap insurance and extended warranty, which I pushed back on, saying, "Look. I plan to possibly mod the car, and let's be honest - if I do anything other than keep it factory stock, you guys are going to tell me that's what caused part x to fail and it voids the warranty. So, why should I spend the extra money to buy an extended warranty that's not going to cover my car in case I DO mod it? And the gap insurance...My insurance company's going to cover me for it for what's left on the payout if the car's stolen or totaled. I've got a really good agent on that whom I already checked with and went over it with before I came in here. So, sell me JUST what I want."

Now, what you start doing is telling them that if they don't want to remove the paint protectant, you'll give them a really negative rating on their Customer Service Survey. That hurts their pocketbook, and will ALSO affect the salesperson's payraise/bonuses. They'll be more likely to work with you otherwise.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

In my opinion it is a rip off. They didn't push it per say but did mention it a few times. It is just a wax but they use a buffer to apply and there was no-way anyone was putting a buffer to my brand new Mustang. I don't care how experienced he was. (sunswirls is all I could thing of.) Just do as someone mention or go to the owner of the dealership.