Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idiot salesman

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: idiot salesman

ORIGINAL: KUcurt

Our Tungsten 07 GT stickered at 29,095. Auto, IUP, GT Appearance Group, leather, Sirius, etc. At the time, they were really pushing the $1,000 back and 0% financing. Took the test drive, came back and wifey asks if we can negotiate. We finally get them down to $24,500 - but they never suspected that we'd pay cash for the car and no payments. We agreed on the price, and they still expected us to finance the car. The wife pulled out the checkbook and the look on the eyes of the salesman and sales manager was utter shock. The sales manager went further and pissed off the wife by telling her she didn't know how to manage her money because it wasn't smart to not take the 0% financing. You don't do this to my wife, the daughter of a successful surgeon - who does know a thing or two about managing our money.

We walked off getting the brand new car for what we feel was a good price.

We also left seeing the sales manager chewing out the salesman, which I felt a bit bad for the salesman - he was a decent guy to us. Sales Managers are generally the bad guy in these types of things.
I don't understand why you wouldn't take the 0% financing offer assuming you had the proper credit rating and got pre-approved(which isn't hard sinceFord was willing to give out great financing to anyone with a pulse.)

Even if you could only takethe1000 dollar cash rebate or the0% over 4 years the 0% is still the better offer.

In a 25,500 dollar car 0% financing will save you roughly 1500+ over 3years assuminga 4% savings rateANDassumingthe interest in savings will fall into the highest tax bracket ($110,000 annually I think?) If I'm wrong with the numbers someone correct me as I calculated the savings in interest using a reallyclunky formula.

If it's offered WITH the 1000 dollar cash rebate, which it is, then there's just no reason to not take it.

Maybe your wife just misunderstood the terms ofFord's 0% offer or something, which is likely in this case,buttaking the financing offer instead of paying cash is the smart financial move (unless I'm missing something as to why it isn't).It was still a stupid thing for the manager to say though... why insult the customer? He should just be happy to get the cash upfront.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

His thinking might have been ..............you know, since the daughter of a surgeon has such an elite business sense, that if she took the 0%, then used the $25K and invested that into something with a 10% payback on dividends, or even if she opened a Capital One savings account that pays 5% interest, he would have been saving her $2500 for the 1st year in earned income, multiply that by a 60 month term and add in all the interest earned from the interest, maybe he thought he was doing her a favor. Course, with all that earned/saved money, probably put her in a high tax bracket and have to hide more earnings to avoid paying taxes. All this is speculation because I don't know if she is rich or just her dad, or mom....whomever is the doctor. Wait a minute....she paid cash so she must be rich. Maybe she just has a thing about being in debt. Yea, that's got to be it.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, the manager shouldn't have yelled or gone ballastic, but it was obviously the right move to take the financing, regardless of whether or not you got the $1000 cash back as well (although from the way you wrote it, it looks like you could have gotten both?).

But a 0% financing rate is golden; even if you don't have the stomach to put it into the financial markets (even with a fairly conservative S&P index fund), you could have just stuck it in an ing savings account (FDIC insured) at almost 5% and just earned 5% for the length of the loan, essentially discounting the price of your car by *thousands of dollars*.

But whatever; it's already done. Just thought you'd want to know for the next time.

Hope you're enjoying your stang!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

I would have been livid
Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Never heard of a GT selling for more than MSRP.
In '05 , in NJ, some dealers were getting 2-3k over MSRP sticker. The second they were on the lot....poof! Gone!! Amazing. I waited a year, and got a deal on an '06 leftover.

I did see this past Saturday, at the dealer I bought my car, there was a GT 500 (white w/ blue stripe) with a window sticker of 45k, no other "markup" listed. When I got my car in Nov '06, I asked how much they were getting over sticker for a GT500. The mgr. said "whaddya mean?" Whatever the MSRP is, I sell it for!!! Wonder if that policy still holds true, or if it ever did!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Hard to believe a dealer didn't do or know of "local" markup. I bet he is selling all the 500's he can get his hands on. I suppose when the S197 GT's first came out, they were a hot item and some dealers took advantage of it by selling above MSRP.