Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutting antenna, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cutting antenna, quick question

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

ORIGINAL: Nuke

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

...who cares what size it is really as long as you like the way it looks.
It's been decades since I did any antenna design but optimum performance is based on fractions and multiples of the wavelength. For an automobile's FMreceiver, it's not that critical and you'd be hard pressed to notice any degradation in reception performance if you're not dead-on a multiple.

That part you lost me.

Radio waves have a specific wavelength that depends on the frequency. Antennas work best if their length is an even submultiple of the wavelength. For example, half or a quarter. But in the case of a car radio, it turns out to not be that critical, partially because of the amount of power used by radio stations.

The bottom line: the exact length is not that critical. 14" works a little better if you're in an area that is further from stations, but 8" works almost as well. The nice thing is that you can pretty much make it the length that looks good to you.
1/4 waves and half waves are only applicable for transmitting
and getting the antenna to accept a load during transmitting.
I have never heard of setting the SWR for reception.
In fact you have to be transmitting to set the SWR.
Reception does not depend on the length of the antenna after
a certain length.
There are many factors that enter into whether it "matters" whether or not the antenna is a length that is a submultiple of the wavelength. But in some situations, it it does matter for both transmitting and receiving. It is true that there is no standing wave when you're receiving, but that doesn't mean that the length of the antenna doesn't ever matter.

As a matter of fact, the stock antenna is sized to be 1/4 the wavelength of the FM band. The 14" length quoted by many people here is 1/8 wavelength. If you live in an area that is far from stations, I'd make it 14" or leave it stock. But for many people that live in metropolitan areas, you can pretty much make it any length you want.

Here, don't just take my word for it:
http://www.thechromepony.com/Mods1-04.html
http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/antenna1.htm

Old 03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
smh
1st Gear Member

I can pee farther than you can pee.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smh

I can pee farther than you can pee.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] Sorry, I'm an engineer. Can't help myself. [:-]
Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

There are many factors that enter into whether it "matters" whether or not the antenna is a length that is a submultiple of the wavelength. But in some situations, it it does matter for both transmitting and receiving. It is true that there is no standing wave when you're receiving, but that doesn't mean that the length of the antenna doesn't ever matter.

As a matter of fact, the stock antenna is sized to be 1/4 the wavelength of the FM band. The 14" length quoted by many people here is 1/8 wavelength. If you live in an area that is far from stations, I'd make it 14" or leave it stock. But for many people that live in metropolitan areas, you can pretty much make it any length you want.
From your link:
"At that length, proper commercial products have additional components which "base load" the antenna and make it perform as though it was much longer. There's more than just a short piece of metal involved."

And the 1/8 wave loads into the 50 ohm 1/4 wave tuned coax the same how engineer joe?
The 1/4 wave for FM from the factory matches the 50 ohm coax but god luck getting a cut
down 1/8 wave to load into it the same. Your move.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

From your link:
"At that length, proper commercial products have additional components which "base load" the antenna and make it perform as though it was much longer. There's more than just a short piece of metal involved."

And the 1/8 wave loads into the 50 ohm 1/4 wave tuned coax the same how engineer joe?
The 1/4 wave for FM from the factory matches the 50 ohm coax but god luck getting a cut
down 1/8 wave to load into it the same. Your move.
Sorry, didn't mean this to get personal. The reason I said I'm an engineer was not to claim that I'm an expert on antennas, but simply to apologize for the fact that I have a tendency to discuss things in detail. I don't know everything there is to know about antennas, I'll admit.

The bottom line is that most any length seems to work pretty well for most people.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I didn't measure. I just cut it somewhere near the middle. I have a spare atenna anyway, so I wasn't worried. I intially thought I could pull the top off and put it back on, but that didn't work. I just rounded off the top on the bench grinder and primered/painted it.

I had a billet shortie antenna, but it got broken.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Holy hell......are we really getting into VSWR and radio wave propogation concerning our car antennae? Chop it till you like it. WE probably play CD's more than the radio anyway. I half expect people to start talking about reflection coeffecients and insertion losses in the next post.