Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 AUX Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 PM
michaellefebvre

Default RE: Shaker 500 AUX Question

You can use a kit from "Integration Solutions", on Ebay, just Google it.
They arevery good Ebayer's and they know their stuff, call'em.
They provide a wire harness, cables and an adapter made by Metra called "Axxess".

Unfourtunatly I can't personallyattest to its performancewith an Ipod
because I amusing it with an XM radio receiver, (I'm not an Ipoder), but it works fine
withXM, no problems to report.

It appears to have been designed more for the Ipod however.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker 500 AUX Question

There are a few different options for adding an AUX input to the Shaker systems in the Mustangs. You can go to Ford and get the iTrip Plus or something, which will run you roughly $300 + installation. This has the added benefit of being a Ford part, installed by Ford dealers, and they can't try to void your warranty.

Then you have the PIE FRD-004 which is available with an iPod specific plug, which allows you to control the iPod from the radio, and I believe from the iPod itself. Or you can get this unit with a simple Mini Stereo jack which requires iPod control. I think it runs somewhere from $130 to $180. You have to have the newer version of it, or it WILL cause computer errors. (I don't know if there's really even any of the old ones left, but it's something to check.) Some places that sell the FRD-004 sell the unit alone, and require you to buy the vehicle specific harness for it.

You also have the Peripheral Electronics iSimple ISFD-73 iPod interface. This unit works with the Mustang, gives you two inputs (iPod and Satelite, though I'm guessing you can probably plug the other audio cable in to the Sat port and have it work), and allows you to choose from interfacing with the iPod specific connection which requires you to control the iPod from the radio, or you can choose to install a Mini Stereo jack with RCA ports, which would require you to control your device from the device itself. This unit retails for $150, I got mine on sale for $130. Do NOT confuse this with the ISFD-71 unit that was originally stated to work with the Mustang, it's certification for that has been pulled by the company for the same errors as the early PIE unit. This unit comes with all cables/harnesses required for iPod/generic input install. There are extra cables required if you wish to also hook up a Sat connection.

Install time on either of the aftermarket parts is about 1 hour, and will require ZipTies to route your input wire, and velcro/double sided tape to secure the AUX unit itself.