Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding performance to a Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Miracle
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Adding performance to a Automatic

Here you go man... just for reading and info:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1062448/tm.htm

And a TON more tutorials and reading material:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2230983/tm.htm

Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Shifters don't add any torque or HP.
1. CAI/tune if you don't already have one. 3-5 tenths off the 1/4 mile
2. GEARS...3.73's - 2-4 tenths off the 1/4 mile
3.T/C =torque converter (maybe a 3000 stall). 2-5 tenths off the 1/4 mile
4. UDP = under drive pullies - maybe 1/10 off the 1/4 mile
5. 1 peice driveshaft - 1-2 tenths off the 1/4 mile
6. LTH = Long tube headers with o/r H or X pipe - 2-4 tenths off the 1/4 mile
7. DR's = drag radials...doesn't add power, just help you put it to the ground - 3-4 tenths off the 1/4 mile

Of course the above 1/4 mile shavings are only aguestimate, I think they're pretty close.
There's also some supporting mods like upper and lower control arms to help with traction.

Let us not forget shift kits which aloow less slippage and quicker shifts to improve performance and mpg.
The shift kit is built into the tune. FYI: The tune shifts much harder than any B&M shift kit I've ever had installed in my TH350/TH400's.

Can't you still improve fluid flow?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

ill recommend u to think first what do you want the car for.then mod according to that.if your not gonna drag race the car all the time then dont worry about the stall converted. do everything else first and then worry about that.i myself started with CAI,TUNE,NITROUS,TIRES, and now im working on gears,then after the gears im going to start working on suspension.
good luck.you dont have to do it in any set order,i did mines in that order cause is what i was able to get at the time.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:46 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08GT4U

ill recommend u to think first what do you want the car for.then mod according to that.if your not gonna drag race the car all the time then dont worry about the stall converted. do everything else first and then worry about that.i myself started with CAI,TUNE,NITROUS,TIRES, and now im working on gears,then after the gears im going to start working on suspension.
good luck.you dont have to do it in any set order,i did mines in that order cause is what i was able to get at the time.
ok if thats the case then I wont add the stall converter thanks. but just curious I've seen a bunch or nitro disasters arent you scared or damaging your engine or are you just using a very small amount
Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miracle

Here you go man... just for reading and info:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1062448/tm.htm

And a TON more tutorials and reading material:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2230983/tm.htm

thanks, basics are simple, stall speeds and stuff arent it seems
Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

as stated I've done a CAI and a Tune already guys, but I've seen many gear kits so 3.73 gears is for sure the one I want to use

and what do you mean "high stall converter" would the $1000 model be the high very, I'm just looking for better performance not the top of the line. would the $300 version be too much ?

howarmat - nope, I'm going try pretty much everything that doesnt require a sodering or welding myself.
Thats good to think that, but when you have no clue what something does, installing it is that much harder. you have to disconnect the driveshaft disconnect the transmission fromt engine and so forth. Some things like the CAI and tune are easy, others are hard and you cant start the job, then realize halfway through you dont know what the hell you are doing!Like someone stated, just becuase it "improves you car" doesnt mean you should do it.

You can put all the HP you want on the car, but if you dont do your HW and get some decent tires and suspension, you will sit there and spin while the guy on his moped flies by you. You need to research everything you put on the car and know why you are putting that mod on there.

Its you car and you are free to do whatever you want. But dont put everything you can think of on it and then come back and say you ride into work sucks now.

One last thing.....most people in this thread assumed you had a GT some of the mods are not near as common for the sixxers as the GT. you want a new rearend with the gears really, otherwise you will still just be spinning one tire.....
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

yes it has cross my mind of the damage that it can do but if you research, alot of the v8s blowing there motors are big shots.i have about a 100 shot right now and im very happy with it.remember the difference between you and me is i have a gt not a v6.i ran a 4 cylinder eclipse with rods that looked like number 2 pencils with nitrous and nothing happen.im not saying thatit connot happen cause it can, but i fill with this motor it should be fine.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

as stated I've done a CAI and a Tune already guys, but I've seen many gear kits so 3.73 gears is for sure the one I want to use

and what do you mean "high stall converter" would the $1000 model be the high very, I'm just looking for better performance not the top of the line. would the $300 version be too much ?

howarmat - nope, I'm going try pretty much everything that doesnt require a sodering or welding myself.
Thats good to think that, but when you have no clue what something does, installing it is that much harder. you have to disconnect the driveshaft disconnect the transmission fromt engine and so forth. Some things like the CAI and tune are easy, others are hard and you cant start the job, then realize halfway through you dont know what the hell you are doing!Like someone stated, just becuase it "improves you car" doesnt mean you should do it.

You can put all the HP you want on the car, but if you dont do your HW and get some decent tires and suspension, you will sit there and spin while the guy on his moped flies by you. You need to research everything you put on the car and know why you are putting that mod on there.

Its you car and you are free to do whatever you want. But dont put everything you can think of on it and then come back and say you ride into work sucks now.

One last thing.....most people in this thread assumed you had a GT some of the mods are not near as common for the sixxers as the GT. you want a new rearend with the gears really, otherwise you will still just be spinning one tire.....
when you say a new rear end you mean like this ?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild1.html

because the new gears will put too much pressure on the stock ones ?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Guilty!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

I have rocker stripes and no warrior (GT) badge. must have been the rims yeah I do have GT rims

Quick Reply: Adding performance to a Automatic