Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone painted their tail lights??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Railrider
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone painted their tail lights??

I had been putting off doing the rear panel delete on my '05 Mustang cuz I was'nt sure I would
like it but I finally got one from Rob at BSM and put it on today, I must say I wish I had done this
earlier because it really changes the "Look" of the back end of the car, My only problem now is
it looks like it needs something else....So i thought about painting the areas around the tail lights
black to kind of finish the look. Anyone done this yet?? Post pics please if you have and also what kind
of paint/prep did you do?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:57 PM
JimC

Default RE: Anyone painted their tail lights??

I'll post up a pic when I get home - I'm pretty sure that I posted when I did it to my car so you might find it in threads started by me. I removed the assembly and simply cleaned them up, wiped down with alcohol then taped off the light. I used a small exacto type knife to cut out the tape so that the "lines" were exposed and used general purpose black high gloss paint. Let it dry between coats using several light coats, dry/cure overnight, remove the tape and reinstall.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Painted tail lights Black Candy

Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

3 coats of night shades, then clearcoated over the top
Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 AM
JimC

ORIGINAL: Railrider

I had been putting off doing the rear panel delete on my '05 Mustang cuz I was'nt sure I would
like it but I finally got one from Rob at BSM and put it on today, I must say I wish I had done this
earlier because it really changes the "Look" of the back end of the car, My only problem now is
it looks like it needs something else....So i thought about painting the areas around the tail lights
black to kind of finish the look. Anyone done this yet?? Post pics please if you have and also what kind
of paint/prep did you do?
Here are some pictures from when I painted the outlines on my tailights. Next to a car with "stock" taillights they look very different.

Sorry, I don't have a "before" shot
Old 07-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Railrider
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Guys.....I did it last nite, I decided against doing the "smoked" thing because Virginia is very ****
about their automobile laws, If I did'nt know better I would think the whole state was run by Quakers or Puritans,
Anyway I taped off the lenses and shot them with some "MADE FOR PLASTIC" Krylon after some prep work
and they turned out GREAT!! Nice cheap mod and it goes with the whole black panel delete thing.....

Thanks again...I guess I just needed to know someone else took a chance before I did