Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You or Wouldn't You?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Default Would You or Wouldn't You?

Cruising around Sunday with nothing to do I stopped in to one of the local Ford dealers. There is a Black 2006 GT that I've noticed sitting there for at least the last 6 months. I know from looking at it before that it's supercharged.

So I'm looking at it for a few minutes, and a salesman walks over. The place was absolutely dead so he almost starts leg humping me to take a test drive. He gets the keys and pops the hood; under it I see a polished intercooled Vortech setup with JBA longtubes, Diablosport MAFia, and a ZEX fuel tee sandwiched in the fuel rail. Interior has a 2 gauge pillar pod (looks like SOS) with a fuel pressure gauge and wideband O2 A/F gauge,both Autometer Cobalt, Hurst short throw, and a shift light. I checked the trunk and the rest of the nitrous system had been cleanly removed.

I get in and fire it up, started almost immediately, ran quiet with a nice sounding exhaust; no markings on the axleback tips. Take it down the street, nail it, and its got good power. Nothing amazing, but it felt pretty good compared to my basic bolt on 07. I didn't rev it up much past 5k in any gear, so I guess it had more power to give.

I get back to the dealership and ask how much. We go in to ask the sales manager who is all alone in the place, totally dead there.
He says the car is from a local loyal buyer from the dealer, who traded it in on a GT500. One of the other salesmen, who is a Mustang freak helped him peice it together. He says that its "balanced and blueprinted", which I took to mean forged internals,has 4.10's and an aluminum driveshaft along with suspension mods. It also has a GT500 rear bumper and a black powdercoated Cervini's grille.

The price went from pretty stupid to pretty reasonable as we were talking. I asked him if all aftermarket parts were covered under warranty, making it pretty clear that I would be beating on it and the parts were expensive. He said he's pretty sure everything would be covered and could put it in writing. I said if he could get all the receipts for the build and put it up on the lift for me to check out, I might be interested.

So, the question for you guys is: Would you buy a built car that you're pretty sure has been beat on or keep your car that you are 100% sure of. I'm positive that I could get this car on trade for the same or less than I'm paying for my 07.

Sorry for making you read all this.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:31 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Would You or Wouldn't You?

That sounds like a sweet car, but if I were you I'd keep your car. You could go F/I with your car and it would be your own build, not somebody else's. Except for the forged internals...hmm.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 AM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

it's up to you....both cars are awesome
Old 07-22-2008, 03:19 AM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

You bring up a good point of not knowing how it was driven. When I talked to my dealer about possibly wanting to supercharge mine, he said sometimes that will hurt the resale...only because people might not want to buy it not knowing how I drove it. For all they knew I drive it like a racecar 24/7...

I'd say keep yours and just mod it if you want. May be cheaper in the long haul.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:42 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I would steer clear. It's blown AND has spray....that's a fine recipe for disaster on a used car especially when you don't know it's history. You say it went well but nothing amazing? You should've been very impressed by the Vortech.

There aren't many modified Mustangs i would buy, and I would never buy one if I didn't have extensive knowledge of the previous owner and his/her driving style.

Reminds me of a Terminator i saw in a Ford dealership recently. The salesman was all over me within seconds of arriving and after 3 minutesthe power of the car had gone from a modified 500rwhp up to 580rwhp. The guy was making it up as he went along and treating me like some kid who'd perhaps be sucked in to his world of BS which, whilst mildly amusing, was also somewhat insulting.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

IF you get a warranty on the drivetrain, and IF the price is smokin, why not? Sounds like you'd be covered. By the way, I hate the way people throw around "balanced and blueprinted". That term has a very specific meaning, and I doubt it is applicable to that engine.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

If the car runs fine now, the chances of the n2o or the blower having any damaging effects are very low. When those types of mods cuase damage, it is very immediate and usually quite drastic. I can't beleive so many people think that because a car has mods, it means that it was always beat to hell. Running a car hard does not really hurt it, lack of basic maintence is what kills them.

Fullboogie, you are correct F/A's do rule. Who is that in the pic you have?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Would You or Wouldn'

If I were you I would just get an SC of your choice and a few other mods and build it

Marcus ... something similar happened to me at the dealership, amazing how they talk to you like you have no clue what you're looking at. I just told the guy he was joke and walked a way.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 AM
S197_GTvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Would You or Wouldn'

ORIGINAL: JD1969

If the car runs fine now, the chances of the n2o or the blower having any damaging effects are very low. When those types of mods cuase damage, it is very immediate and usually quite drastic. I can't beleive so many people think that because a car has mods, it means that it was always beat to hell. Running a car hard does not really hurt it, lack of basic maintence is what kills them.

+1[8D]