Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs and dealers are fuc*ing idiots

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:22 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT

Glad to hear that, so far, those plugs are doing good. Its been my experience that Champions and Fords dont play well together.
Don't forget that Champion designed this plug exclusively for the 4.6 and 5.4 Ford engines. It doesn't fit anything else.

I've had my Champions in since last spring and they are working great. I also noticed a slight improvement in performance after installing them. I pulled them about a month ago and they still look good.

I think the "Champions don't work in Fords" is just an old urban legend. I have never had a problem with them in 35 + years of owning nothing but Fords and using lots of Champion plugs in the process.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:50 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

No urban myth associated with it here. I noted its been my experience. I had a few cars come back after new plugs were installed as part of a tune-up within 3 mo. Reinstalled Autolites, problem gone and didnt reoccur. I didnt particularly believe that either before those cars. I mean, come on, its just a spark plug. Right?

Nope.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 09-20-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
No urban myth associated with it here. I noted its been my experience. I had a few cars come back after new plugs were installed as part of a tune-up within 3 mo. Reinstalled Autolites, problem gone and didnt reoccur. I didnt particularly believe that either before those cars. I mean, come on, its just a spark plug. Right?

Nope.
My experience with problem spark plugs has always been "user error". I can't tell you how many times over the years that neighbors and friends have come to me about problems after installing all types and brands of new spark plugs. In every case I have found either broken porcelain insulators from putting side torque on the plug when installing, improper gap, loose plugs or anti-seize on the tip. I have never found any plug that didn't work without an obvious cause.

Champion, Autolite, Motorcraft, AC, Bosch, NKG and the rest of them make good plugs. On the other hand, not all people who buy those plugs know how to install them properly.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Champion plugs

Originally Posted by cavediver
Don't forget that Champion designed this plug exclusively for the 4.6 and 5.4 Ford engines. It doesn't fit anything else.

I've had my Champions in since last spring and they are working great. I also noticed a slight improvement in performance after installing them. I pulled them about a month ago and they still look good.

I think the "Champions don't work in Fords" is just an old urban legend. I have never had a problem with them in 35 + years of owning nothing but Fords and using lots of Champion plugs in the process.
I too have the new Champions and My car runs like a Swiss watch. I have been working on cars for some 45 years and I have installed a LOT of Champion plugs, never had a problem - and a lot of these were installed in Fords. Champion plugs are very commonly used in aircraft too. Sorry, I don't buy the story that Champion plugs are bad.