Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little tip for Shaker 1000 peeps, drastic sound improvement!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

i like your mustang torchedgt
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchedGT
I agree with some of what you're saying - but the advantages I've seen are not due to the volume/dimensions of the trunk space.. since folding the seat back BUT not actually clipping it back in place (looks the same, the foam/seat is still blocking my line-of-sight with the subs/trunk.. only difference is allowing the sound pressure waves to make their way into the cabin.) It'd also explain why some of the more hardcore audio guys resort to simply taking out the rear deck speakers so they can hear the subs.

I'll probably install those little vents (easy to seal from underneath if I have to.. I'd have to leave the vents in though) and see where that gets me.. I'm pretty confident that'll solve the problem though. I'll throw some dynamat in the spare tire well area and under the rear dash / on the sides behind the carpet as well.

I'm not really too excited about dropping $150/"kit" for dynamat though, I might stop by home depot on the way home and see if they have some adhesive rolled insulation.
If that rear deck has holes in the metal, I would just pull the upholstered part out first and see if it helps with the seat latched. If not then it saves you from cutting.

I have not checked pricing in 10 years, but Stinger was making a sound deadening material basically the same as dynamat, and they had a spray on that actually worked very well. I would avoid underbody sprays as they are basically tar and not very good for longevity (and they stink). Some of the adhesive tar papers that look like dynamat are not that great either as they usually are not as dense and the adhesive is not that good, so after a few months in heat/cold they will start to peel.

Good luck with it!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

nice find man when i get my sub im goin to make vents thanks for the info
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Heh, I think I did that when I installed my 12' .. I wanted to see the difference. There def. is a BIG difference. The way I've set mine up though is not the conventional box.

I mounted both my speakers on a board, which I drilled into the frame. The subs use the space between the board they are mounted on and the rear sears as a box.

I'm not profoundly happy with it though as it kicks alot less than when I had them in a box. So I'll be building my self some other type of " box device " back there.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Im real picky when it comes to sound..it has to be bassy but clear also, my friend has a Tacoma and the bass is good but its real unclear and the songs are muffled by it. I dont like Hip hop and all that, i love metal and listening to the double bass drum kicking is amazing.

I only have the shaker 500...Great system but even then i notice a difference with my seats down, its got something to do with the accoustics of the car.
When i was shopping for mustangs..it was either an 03 but it had to have the Mach 460 system or the shaker 500 in the new models. Ford know their systems!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Now we need a fix for the vert.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Analyzer52
Now we need a fix for the vert.
The fix is put the top up! LOL.

Seriously though, I have been working on that problem in my head since I got my vert 2 months ago. I was a professional installer for 10 years (10 years ago), and I have been itching to do a really sweet system in my car. So far I have planned for the front speakers and am already at over $1000, so all told, even with my old contacts in the business, I will still be way over the $3000 mark. I kind of wish I had the money on hand this winter as it would be a great project while the car is parked all winter. The only thing I have come up with so far on great bass in the vert is LOTS of power. I don't drive without the top down, so I need a LOT of bass and with very little truck space, that means a LOT of power. I am really anxious to do some sweet fiberglass work in the trunk, but I might just have to experiment with different enclosure types before finalizing the design.. the looks are important here but sound is just as important.. dont want to have 100 hours of labor into it only to find that it sounds weaker than the shaker 1000.

The shaker 1000 is pretty pathetic in terms if car audio, but better than many factory systems. If you take the philosophy that subwoofers are to fill in the low end only, then you can go for good 8" midbass drivers up front that are crossed from 60hz to about 240hz, then a good 6.5" and tweeter in the 5x7 location that starts at about 200 hz. Put about 125-150 watts of real power to those midbass drivers and you should see some serious drum hits, with subs in the trunk just filling in the boom part.. The problem with a setup like this is you can overdrive those midbass drivers really easily so you have to know exactly when you are pushing them too hard. Done right you should be able to get crystal clear sound with very hard hitting bass notes and the deep fill that really requires a subwoofer. The factory system sounds like it plays 500 hz up to about 12k hz with some 80hz and down from the trunk subs. Very flat and boring sounding..

Sorry though, I don't think there is such a thing as an easy fix to the weak sounding shaker1000 in the vert..
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Thunder10
1st Gear Member

I have a 2000 celica as my DD with a 12" Kicker, and the difference between the rear seats up and down is like night and day. That is awesome it works for our cars as well.

I am definitely missing not having a sub in the Mustang, I guess I will have to add that to the mod list!