Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can the 2010 Mustang compete with the 2010 Camaro and Challenger?
Yes, the price makes up for the power difference.
30.59%
No. Its still going to be slower, model for model
57.06%
I dont care, its still better than no increase in power, and I want the 2010 Mustang.
12.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Dollar for Dollar, Can the 2010 Mustang compete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
You couldn't be more wrong about the handling. You freely state you don't race, but declare the mustang handles like a 20yr old car. Really, based on what?

Writers for magazines are hardly highly skilled drivers and in the end their opinion is just the opinion of one man. From reading all of your posts, you seem to base your opinion of cars more from reading about them than actually driving them. You have to keep in mind that writers, like everyone, have inherent biases. Most magazine writers have love affairs with certain cars, and write off others without a thought. You shouldn't be surprised that most think of the Mustang as low-tech American iron. Writers also love to jump on the latest bandwagon.

Writers love to dump on the solid axle, just as you have, without really thinking about it. The automatic assumption is something more complicated has to be better. I've seen a stock '05 GT with R-compounds dust every other car in attendance at an autocross meet more than one time. Granted, he is an excellent driver, but the point is that is what the car is capable of when driven well. The field he beats includes cars 3-4 times the price, fancy suspensions, AWD, BMWs, Corvettes, you name it. A funny additional to this story is this same driver bought a S2000 and put his Mustang up for sale. When he brought the S2000 to meets, he was a mid-pack player. I asked him about this and he said the Mustang was a faster car, period, straight line or otherwise.
Very well said I couldn't agree more...I went to a local event today over at Homestead speedway and saw the Koni Sport Mustang challenge. Let me just say that the first two mustangs that finished that ran in the challenge broke the current track record for that specific course set by the "much better because I read car and driver and they told me that so I believed them" Subaru STI by over one and a half seconds, which is like a lifetime. Those cars are 3v that have been stripped of all weight and have had some modifications done to them and still managed to beat out the favored competition. Cars are only as good as the person who drives them, and I'll be damned if someone gets me to ever say that a Stang can't compete in every race category because it can
Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

there was a 2010 at the gatornationals so I saw one in person. Ford needs to consider deleting those HUGE driving lights. They look even bigger with the new front end.

The rear - what were they thinking?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
belairs197
1st Gear Member

simple question... the answer is NO! look at the numbers they say it all... dollar per horsepower we arnt in the ball game any more.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by belairs197
simple question... the answer is NO! look at the numbers they say it all... dollar per horsepower we arnt in the ball game any more.
Sure, you could argue that, I suppose. Dollar for dollar the Mustang is still the best car in my opinion. HP aside. The Camaro, for instance, has some serious problems, that you aren't addressing. We all know Mustang always outsells Camaro, because it has broader appeal.

- V6 Camaro is kind of expensive when optioned out, pretty close in price to a stripped down Mustang GT. The manual runs a 14.4 in the 1/4 and the automatic a 14.6 in the 1/4 mile. Yup, the car isn't fast...period. Speed junkies would be better off going for a Mustang GT than a Camaro V6. V6 Mustang to V6 Camaro will come down to sticker price, not hp. The Mustang will be cheaper...Ford will but incentives on it if it has to.

You're going to get beaten by 1999 Mustang GT's and V6 Honda Accords if you purchase one. Being the fastest V6 "muscle car" is like finishing top of your GED class...no one really cares. Performance minded drivers that can't afford a new V8 will probably go to a used V8 anything over a new V6. I know I would.

- Limited appeal. Camaro design is too aggressive for broad appeal and in this day and age you need female sales. Women might buy a V6 Mustang, but I doubt they'll go for a boy racer car like the Camaro. That's fine if you want to sell 25k-50k units like a Corvette, but not 100k units.

- Camaro has limited practicality and options:

+Try a 11.5 cubic ft trunk in a large coupe vs. a 13.5 ft Mustang trunk. Does the Camaro even have a fold down rear seat? Comparison here...a C5 Corvette convertible has a larger trunk than the new Camaro.

+ Camaro is designed like a pillbox. This one will turn off a lot of drivers. Rearward visibility is exceedingly poor, even the rear view mirror has limitations. It would be a frustrating vehicle to drive in traffic, park, or get in and out off. Forget looking over your shoulder, you'll see nothing but pillar. Shorter drivers are going to feel like their driving in a bathtub with those short windows and extremely high belt line.

+ The Camaro interior looks very strange to me. Those huge boxes around the gauges. Do people think that's attractive? I'm guessing people that like the exterior, again, limited appeal.

+ Ford has Sync. Chevy as Onstar. My G8 GT has Onstar, it's kind of limited in what it can do and it's really expensive. I like auto crash detection better than the Ford option, but paying 0.40 a minute to use the phone gets pricey. Onstar's turn-by-turn direction is lacking compared to DVD nav.

+ Limited Camaro options. The Camaro radio stinks: only a single CD with 245 watts (that's the optional system!), Mustang has Shaker 500. Mustang has auto dual climate control, Camaro doesn't. Mustang has a back up camera, GPS nav system, and Bluetooth (through Sync). Camaro doesn't offer any of those features.

- 1SS Camaros will have extremely limited options. You can't even get leather seating on a 1SS. You'll need to step up to the 2SS for leather seats.

- If you want leather seats, then you're Camaro SS will cost at minimum $34k with no options.

http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...build-your-own

- The Mustang handles as well or better per all the mag tests and keeps up with the Camaro well on a curvy track. It's only 0.5s slower in the 1/4 than the SS and about 1 second faster than the V6. The Mustang is likely to feel as rapid to most people and will be more fun to throw around due to lower weight.

- The Mustang has a more positive name in the marketplace.

- You can purchase a Mustang convertible, but no Camaro convertible. Obviously, if you want a drop top, then Ford is the way to go.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 04-02-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
bigpappy33
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by antonio1988
Very well said I couldn't agree more...I went to a local event today over at Homestead speedway and saw the Koni Sport Mustang challenge. Let me just say that the first two mustangs that finished that ran in the challenge broke the current track record for that specific course set by the "much better because I read car and driver and they told me that so I believed them" Subaru STI by over one and a half seconds, which is like a lifetime. Those cars are 3v that have been stripped of all weight and have had some modifications done to them and still managed to beat out the favored competition. Cars are only as good as the person who drives them, and I'll be damned if someone gets me to ever say that a Stang can't compete in every race category because it can
+2 ive read great things about the new mustangs handling, i think it pulled around .95gs with the "handling package". and thats saying alot with the solid rear axle.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

I just built a camaro and to have it done with just about the same mods that I have on my car from a visual standpoint, costs $41,880. My car right now with the value of the car and the mods that I have done to it cost a grand total of about $34k. With another $1000 invested between some 4.10 gears and an aluminum driveshaft, which puts my mustang at just over $35k, will be running low to mid 12's on the quarter mile day and nite, no questions asked. The new mustang will have similar pricing to mine, so with all that said, with what I've done to my car applied to the 2010 mustang, it should have no problem spanking camaros all while having about 40 less crank HP than the maros will put out from the factory. Money talks, plain and simple. Plus, the styling on the mustang is much better :-)