Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks LT Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

did u take them off with a air tool? when i wrenched mine off they were not on all that tight. maybe more than 20LBS just make it tight when you put it back on just more than snug. after your done and drive it for a few days go back under and give everything a once over with the wrench. good luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Alignment issue?
Not unless the holes are slotted. I didnt touch the k-member on my car or others.
Tightening that one, bitch of a nut. A 11mm ratcheting wrench works wonders. It wont move much, but at least you can get it in there to do the job.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

try using some wood in between the jack and the engine to lift it higher, or a phone book? my 2 cents.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys.

Fully done! Car sounds wonderful, much louder too. Can't imagine how louder would be with O/R, but I would not want it any louder that this (hi flow cats)
Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

For those curious it took 2 evenings one 5pm to midnight and 3 pm to 7pm 1 person with sporadic assistance from the wife.

Had all right tools, no trips to the auto part store, and worked on Jacks. Having the experience now I think I would save may be 1 hour or 2.

I am glad I did it myself. My arms are shore and have consumed a lot of advil.

Marriage was tested around 11pm on the first day trying to hang the headers...
Was tested the next day again while trying to put the 3rd screw (the one on the top) of the starter...

But survived!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Congrats vasman, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Kooks myself and will be doing the install with a few much more experienced buddies...

How is the fit? I've heard that ARH and Kooks are the best fitting LTs...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Congrats vasman, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Kooks myself and will be doing the install with a few much more experienced buddies...

How is the fit? I've heard that ARH and Kooks are the best fitting LTs...
No issues with the fit what so ever.

The oil deepstick tube needed a little convincing to get screwed back on (the bracket of the tube was sticking out about 1/2 inch due to the metal connecting all 4 tubes of the header) but the screw got in and bent to place while screwing it.

Make sure you mark the stirring column for position, and have in mind on the upper bracket that the rod coming out the firewall need to be pushed from the underside of the wheel inside the car, in order to button it back in (waste about 1/2 hour to figure this out).

No need to take off both of the screws on the bottom of the column, just do the top shiny one. The column pulls right out.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

The bolt on top of the starter is easiest to get using a swivel on a socket with about a 2ft extension for reach from the front.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:36 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

glad to hear it went well! post up some videos we need to hear it! did u have issue with alignment with the steering? when my steering wheel is straight the car goes right. need to bring it into the shop and have my mechanic figure it out. im just tired from being under the car haha
Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

No no steering issues.. If you do not mind going back under is pretty easy to fix...
Straighten the wheels, loosen the upper bolt of the lower section of the steering column, straighten the wheel, insert back in tighten (with locktite)

Quick Reply: Kooks LT Install