Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
ShadowPony

Originally Posted by Nuke
Disconnect the battery and, if convenient, attach a battery tender. It MAY prevent a weak battery from dying during the storage period. The OE Motorcrap batteries are NOT the best.

And if you can, put a moisture barrier between the tires and concrete if you'll be in storage more than a few months.

And 1 or 2 dryer sheets tossed into the cabin will keep it smelling "purty".
I'm storing my '06 Mustang and I've gotten two different answers to this question. Should I disconnect and remove the battery for a 5 month storage or just leave it alone and hope for the best? One guy says if I pull it, it will clear the computer and wipe out my performance tune and someone else says it will be just fine. The bad thing is where I'm storing it does not allow periodic starts and idles in the building and it doesn't have power turned one both do to liability worries. So I can't plug in a battery tender.

When you're talking about a moisture barrier do you mean plywood, visqueen, or linoleum? Also, would you over fill the tires or just go with the recommended pressure?

Also, i'd also been told to stuff foil in the tail pipe to keep critters out and to also block of the air intake to reduce moisture.

My biggest concern is the battery though.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Doesn't it suck storing the car away? I'd love to live somewhere I could drive it year 'round. I'd make the gt500 my daily driver.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Battery wise, I'd disconnect it, otherwise the parasitic current draw will eventually drain it. If possible, try to ensure it's charged before putting it in storage. Best thing would be to pull it and keep it somewhere cool at home with either a tender on it or on a periodic charge.

For a moisture barrier, sheet sof plastic, carpet, even cardboard at least under the tires will slow down tire rot. If you can, roll out a sheet of plastic and drive the car over it. It's not necessary but it helps.

Crumpled aluminum foil or some steel wool will keep critters from climbing into the tailpipes. They usually don't mess with steel wool. It wouldn't hurt to block the intake also. Just remember to remove all those items.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Doesn't it suck storing the car away? I'd love to live somewhere I could drive it year 'round. I'd make the gt500 my daily driver.
C'mon, Shella. Pack up the kids and let's runaway. You pick the "warm" state. We'll just also need room for 5 vehicles and a boat.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
C'mon, Shella. Pack up the kids and let's runaway. You pick the "warm" state. We'll just also need room for 5 vehicles and a boat.
My next house is going to be a garage! I'd need a couple more drivers and a trailer to get it done. A 4-car garage house isn't a easy thing to come by..... I hope you're going to make really good money. We've got expensive toys.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

If you two can deal with the heat, you won't have to worry about storing your car down here in FL :P
Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by ShadowPony
I'm storing my '06 Mustang and I've gotten two different answers to this question. Should I disconnect and remove the battery for a 5 month storage or just leave it alone and hope for the best? One guy says if I pull it, it will clear the computer and wipe out my performance tune and someone else says it will be just fine. The bad thing is where I'm storing it does not allow periodic starts and idles in the building and it doesn't have power turned one both do to liability worries. So I can't plug in a battery tender.

When you're talking about a moisture barrier do you mean plywood, visqueen, or linoleum? Also, would you over fill the tires or just go with the recommended pressure?

Also, i'd also been told to stuff foil in the tail pipe to keep critters out and to also block of the air intake to reduce moisture.

My biggest concern is the battery though.
Unplug the battery and the car will be fine....if you disconnect your home computer will you not have everything still stored on there from before? Of course....this car is the same way. The only thing that will be lost are radio stations and the adaptive learning and thats a good thing

Moisture barrier is like plastic you use to cover your furniture when painting. You can get it for cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot or Sam's Club or Costco. Should be 8 mils thick at least.

Covering up the pipes will help and a few moth ***** around the car.

and yes I over inflate the tires.....8-10 psi over recommended (so 40 psi for mmine)

Last edited by mygt500; 11-01-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I regulary store my car for periods ranging from a few days to four months. I have an optima red top battery that stays attached to the car. I keep the hood up in the garage with a float charger attached to the battery to offset parasitic draw (I picked up the float charger from Harbor Freight for six bucks). I've never had a problem cranking her up. My tires are at 35psi when in storage, and I park the car on a rubber floor mat. I change the oil every Jan. 1st and July 1st, regardless of mileage or use. That's pretty much it.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM
ShadowPony

Thanks a bunch for everyone's help!

-sp