Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door rattle and window seal issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Default Door rattle and window seal issue.

I searched through over a year's worth of posts involving "window" issues and most of them seem to pertain to window motion and re-calibration of the window stops.

I believe my problem is more that something broke or the horizontal window alignment is off some how.

Window rolls up and down fine, no binding. It does however, not seal well on the rear surface anymore and I get a ton of wind noise when driving. Also, any non-decent road surface and any speaker action with low frequencies causes a severe rattle in the upper rear portion of the door. There are no forward or upper leaks during rain (and it has been raining like hell in GA as of late). In some conditions there is a bit of a squeak when operating the window controls.

Short Drop and Auto Up still function properly.

I'm guessing that either the camber of the window has become maligned because of some part that snapped, but not enough to break the window operation. OR it just came out of alignment a bit due to someone shutting the door improperly (the wife likes to shut the door using the window as a pressure point instead of the actual door, irks me to no end)

If it was just alignment and not a severe rattle, I'd assume that adjusting the lower camber bolt assembly would fix it. The rattle has me worried.

Anyone disassembled the door to fix something similar or should i just have the dealer go for it under some other door rattle TSB when i take it in for the 30K service?

The rattle is around the door lock on the upper side. This could be 2 separate issues.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

My 07 has the exact same issue! Tons of wind nose from the drivers side upper corner. No rattle though. No water leaks from rain. However, if I go through the touchless wash at the gas station it will blow water in. I would love to have an answer for this. I'm wondering if my door is hanging a bit low. sometimes when I shut it, you can feel the door raise up a smidge as it shuts.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

My wind noise seems to be the entire rear seal area of the drivers window.

The rattle is on the upper rear of the door, around the area of the door lock.

Rattle stops if the window is down. Something is either broken, or out of alignment.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:55 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

I dont have the window issue but my door rattles a very loud metallic sound when I step on the gas and I have been putting off trying to find it for almost a year
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

i have the same issue but i dont think its as severe as you guys...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

i have a seal issue near the lock pin on the driver side. some wind noise and water comes in at the car wash, not anytime else.

hey, its a ford, not a lexus
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Upon further inspection, it seems that only the lower part of the rear seal and the window have a small gap. The rattle may be a different issue. They may be related. I dunno. I guess I'm just going to tell the dealer about it when I take it in for service. Door rattles like a bitch (insert TSB about speaker rattle) and this window seal doesn't meet. Also my parking brake freezes in the winter time (another TSB) and here's 9 other TSBs...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem when new, gap at the bottom rear glass. Dealer fixed under warranty, had to get into the door to adjust the glass in the holders.