Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops and sequentials

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Interesting. I think not using turn signals is deadly. Because when someone in front of me doesn't use their signals, I want to kill the mother f**ker. But that's just me...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by JDWalton
look, its kind of useless to talk about it on the web... Its all dependent on your state law. Unless the person your talking to is versed on your state law, your not getting good info.

Regardless of what it says specifically about the lights, usually they can fall back on the lights are part of a factory installed safety system. Most states have laws preventing you from messing with ANY factory installed and federally approved safety system. Thats why it doesn't matter what it comes on now, its not what is approved for your vehicles design.

But I'm just a person on the web too ;-) so you really have to check your state law. As someone else said, your best bet is to ask the officer what the exact code your breaking is. But its not going to matter how you ask it, if you got pulled over for something so silly, your gonna get a ticket if you ask about it.... Usually cause they wont know off the top of there head and want to shut you up for there ignorance. More then likely (I know in Connecticut anyway) if they don't know, there going to hit you with a have your vehicle state inspected ticket, and leave the regulations people to nit pick your car.
sorry i just had to do it!

your != you are
there != their
Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I have not been pulled over for sequentials yet, but I have been pulled for:

1. It "looked" like I was going too fast.....
2. It "sounded" like my car had no catalytic converters on it (it does)....
3. Spinning wheels at a stop light (was the primered Jetta beside me "racing"
me from the light) the cop said it had to be me.....
4. It looked like my inspection sticker was expired.....
5. It looked like my tags were expired.....
6. It "looked" like I floored it merging onto the interstate......

And my favorite.......

7. It looked like I was racing from a stoplight.........wait for it...................
against a freaking dump truck!!!!!!!!!!

I hate VA cops, worst I've ever seen. I haven't gotten a ticket for anything and it mostly seems they just want to search the car and then talk about what I've done to it, but no mention of the sequentials yet. I'm sure that will be next. Be very careful if you come to the Communistwealth of Virginia. I can't wait to get back to North Carolina. Sorry for the rant.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Not to go off on a tangent here, but it would be interesting to see what the age break-down is for those getting stopped for these silly things. There may be snow on the top (gray hair) but there's still a lot of fire down below and I've occasionally tried to see how fast I could get from a stop to the speed limit in front of a cop just to see if they'd stop me and they look but never bothered. There have been other "almost an infraction" that I've received a good look over, then they just pull away. Is it age or luck?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I always just assumed that since it was an option on the 2010's, it'd be legal on previous models. I'll check into the local laws at some point, but I probably won't do anything about it if they are illegal. Stupid move on my part, I know, but my kit was a splice-in and I'd rather not deal with it.

What I don't get is the fact that I've had my sequentials on for close to 6 months, and until the past 2 months, never had a single issue. I don't see the problem, I've been told by my friends that they can notice my lights better than stock Mustang's.

Nuke, I agree, I have wondered if it has anything to do with age, or maybe I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe the cops just see my car and look for the first reason to get me, then they see that I'm another punk *** 18-year-old and their mouth starts to water..
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Nuke, no doubt, it's age.

I have a Fiat X-1/9 that my 25 year old son (my youngest) and I keep for summer fun. We both get stopped at a more frequent rate than in other cars (mainly because it's loud, not fast), but I always get the shove off while my son gets the warnings/tickets.

The most often used opening line to me by a cop: "Is this your car?"
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
sorry i just had to do it!

your != you are
there != their

lol... you make me want to go on a murderous rampage against your family!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Cops often will pull over a car just to check the driver and then give a lame excuse for the pull over. They have the right to pull you over any time they want in every state.

There are certain parts of town where a cop could find some sort of illegal activity in about 1/2 the cars on the road. Could be he's just playing the numbers.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

I have been pulled over 3 times in the last 4 months for this!!!!! 1 of them told me flat out: I just wanted a reason to check out your car! I wasnt too happy, but he let me get away another time for not updating my sticker with the wrong wheel sizes. +1 I think the cops are just curious and slow us down so they can watch them longer! hahahaha FN PIGS!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If a cop is pulling you over and using a lame excuse for a reason he won't or can't tell you, that's fine if he leaves you alone and doesn't make up some crap. They have a job to do and I don't envy most cops. But wouldn't it be much nicer if they just said "Those sequentials rock! I just had to stop and tell you what a great looking car you have there!". (that'll be the day...).

Quick Reply: Cops and sequentials