Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I LOVE my whipple. Along the way I ordered a heavy duty take up wheel to keep tension in the belt. I did this after the stock setup would fray the belt from going into redline and shutting down suddenly and whipping the belt. I asked whipple about it and they said they had one for a lot of money but steeda had one for much less. Steeda also has a separate pulley setup for the supercharger that is about 4" wide that is independent of the serpentine system. Very costly but very reliable I suspect. I also did WeaponX coil on plugs after I found the #1 plug to be wet after lots of backfiring.
All this happened after I went to a larger pulley wheel and started pushing more boost.
I suspect you will have none of these issues except the whipping of the belt when you race into redline. Hope this was helpful to you. It is easily the best mod I have ever done on any car and completely changes the mustang to a true muscle car that can just as easily get groceries as blow off a porsche. Have fun man!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
<------- Is really jealous!!!

Congrats man!
You too?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

congrats and welcome to the club!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
Congrats and great choice..!!! Mine came with a 3.25 pulley
Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
congrats!
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by candymanjl
it's a lot of fun, you'll love the extra power! that's cool that there's no cutting. cutting that opening didn't take too long but the less you have to do the easier it'll be and the faster you'll get done. then you'll look like this guy ->
I think my first reaction will be; followed by

Originally Posted by onederful100
congratulations!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by slow3valve
The 550 kits come with a 3.25 pulley. I had 1 on my 07 GT and loved it. If they still come with a slider pulley make sure you retighten it after 50 miles or you will loose a 100.00 belt., and check all your hardware before you start. They sent me a kit and everything was right but had 03 cobra hardware
Thanks for the heads up on the slider pulley! I'll keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted by deekum1627
awesome i always love your car now u got some power to back those sexy looks
Thanks man! Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by americaniron
Congrats on your new purchase. I ordered the same 550 hp kit in black last friday. I also decided to go with a spec clutch and flywheel too. Can't wait to start in on it.
Are you going to install the clutch and flywheel yourself? I think I might eventually upgrade the clutch and flywheel but let's see how the stock one holds up for now. I'm kind of hesitant on working under the car on something like that.

Originally Posted by 07vbluestang
you guys are tough!!! i am laying here recovering from double hernia surgery on wed.(march24). i want to get up and start my whipple install but can't.
How long is the recovery time for such a surgery? I'm holding off on my own inguinal hernia surgery until I get my Whipple installed. lol

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
<------- Is really jealous!!!

Congrats man!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by fakesnake
I LOVE my whipple. Along the way I ordered a heavy duty take up wheel to keep tension in the belt. I did this after the stock setup would fray the belt from going into redline and shutting down suddenly and whipping the belt. I asked whipple about it and they said they had one for a lot of money but steeda had one for much less. Steeda also has a separate pulley setup for the supercharger that is about 4" wide that is independent of the serpentine system. Very costly but very reliable I suspect. I also did WeaponX coil on plugs after I found the #1 plug to be wet after lots of backfiring.
All this happened after I went to a larger pulley wheel and started pushing more boost.
I suspect you will have none of these issues except the whipping of the belt when you race into redline. Hope this was helpful to you. It is easily the best mod I have ever done on any car and completely changes the mustang to a true muscle car that can just as easily get groceries as blow off a porsche. Have fun man!
Thanks for the info!

What is this heavy duty take up wheel you mentioned?

Steeda's belt drive system is so cool. http://www.steeda.com/videos/product...belt-drive.php

"Our 10-rib system is available in boost levels of approximately 11psi to 17psi on a Gen 1 Whipple system and approximately 13 to 19psi on a Gen 2 Whipple system with no slippage under any conditions, and no throwing or breakage of the supercharger belt."

Does this mean the Steeda belt drive will push your boost level to 13psi or does it mean you need to be running at least 13psi to require it?

Originally Posted by mygt500
congrats and welcome to the club!
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Here it is a heavy duty belt tensioner from Steeda that the Whipple guys told me about

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...er_bracket.php

See if you need it before you go for it, but the stock unit does not have the spring tension to contend with the added torque of the supercharger. So that is why I started to fray belts. But i think I had a rare instance.

You are going to so love this thing. Oh ...ALWAYS use premium as in 93 and ALWAYS keep your gas tank above 1/4 full. You do not want to fuel starve or detonate a stock engine at 550 horsepower.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The pulley the 550 kits come with is the 10psi pulley? And is the tune a 91 tune?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
Here it is a heavy duty belt tensioner from Steeda that the Whipple guys told me about

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...er_bracket.php

See if you need it before you go for it, but the stock unit does not have the spring tension to contend with the added torque of the supercharger. So that is why I started to fray belts. But i think I had a rare instance.

You are going to so love this thing. Oh ...ALWAYS use premium as in 93 and ALWAYS keep your gas tank above 1/4 full. You do not want to fuel starve or detonate a stock engine at 550 horsepower.
Hmmm...I may just get the heavy duty tensioner just in case. Should I get the stock sized billet or 90mm billet? I'll be running 91 octane since it's the highest we have in Cali that I've seen. 1/4 tank or above noted. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Riptide
The pulley the 550 kits come with is the 10psi pulley? And is the tune a 91 tune?
Yes, I think it's 10psi. The tune is for 91 octane.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

You know I would call Steeda direct on the pulley wheel size because you need to make sure the belt matches, they come in different sizes too.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
teedub
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
Thanks! I'm not sure what size pulley it comes with and I don't plan to upgrade the pulley. I'm not looking for any particular hp numbers either. This will just be for daily driving and fun; no racing. I'll be happy if I come close to the stated numbers on the website.

this is exactly what I was thinking when I installed mine almost two years ago. I have changed the pulley twice and have made over 50 passes at a 1/8th mile track. It gets addictive.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM
slow3valve

Originally Posted by Riptide
the kit is a 12lb psi kit, but very safe tune. The car should make 475rwhp on a dyno jet with whipples tune.

Quick Reply: Whipple ordered!